Is there a way to make The Trombone polyphonic?

Sometimes we need some poly action, is it posible?

Comments

• edited September 2021

There are Midi processor plugins that split polphonic Midi streams in way that concurrent notes are assigned to different Midi channels.

I once tried this to create an pipe organ from SWAM flutes. I was not very happy with the result. But maybe it was just my playing.

--Michael

• That sounds complicated...

Isnt there a way to just turn it from "mono" to "poly" like usual?

• edited September 2021

These instruments are all about articulation.

Hence each voice would need it's own articulation control by multiple CCs to be sent to it.

This is not just polyphonic, but at least MPE (a kind of multi-channel polyphonic Midi data stream).

But in fact these are "solo" instruments. iIt does not make sense to play them simply polyphonic.

Native instruments does have nice "session" libraries for dedicated "set" usage.

-Michael

• Agreed about poly mode not being the thing here. When I’m in a hurry I can understand just wanting to be able to get four notes out of one instance or whatever - but poly mode is more of a concept for traditional VI’s.

That said, one thing you can do is use Divisimate. Create, say, six trombones, and make each one a Divisimate target; and then make a few patches for use-cases, like three pairs, six singles, two sets of three and so on. Create a single track in your DAW to send to Divisimate (it’s an external app), and DM will take care of splitting voices out to the separate instruments and even add a little variation of settings to each.

There are also some scripts one could use in Kontakt to do voice splitting/channelizing, but I don’t like to add scripting plug-ins on top of what the Samplemodeling Brass is already asking Kontakt to do, and historically SM Brass works better if each instrument has its own Kontakt instance. .

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.