Getting an expression pedal to work with a Yamaha YDP-143 digital piano

Hi community,

So like quite a few people, I have been stumped by the "CC11 not received" message, which I did not see coming because who reads the manual? I looked online and found I need an expression pedal, so I bought the Nektar NX-P expression pedal, along with a 6.35mm to 3.5mm Jack adapter and then a 3.5mm Jack to USB adapter. After all that, the pedal doesn't work and I can't find any information on how to connect one to a digital piano instead of a MIDI keyboard.

It seems the YDP-143 only has Jack sockets for headphones, in which case I've answered my own question, but I also don't know if I need to connect the pedal to the piano or computer if I want to play from the computer on Kontakt.

Sorry if this comes off as a bit rude. I'm feeling a bit stressed right now. Anyway, any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• If the YDP-143 does not feature an input dedicated to expression peadal, this will not work.

You can get a device like -> https://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-pedal-controller

or

-> https://beatbars.com/de/expression-to-midi.html

to connmect the Pedal directly to your computer via USB.

-Michael

• Hi, thanks for the reply. The YDP-143 does not have such an input, so that's case closed. I feel like a fool, blowing about £40 on the pedal and cables (Jack to USB cables are somewhat expensive).

However, I have discovered that opening a DAW e.g. Reaper, then opening Kontakt within the DAW and creating a CC11 value in the MIDI editor does at least get it to sound, albeit without the ability to use an expression pedal.

• edited July 2020

As the value of these instruments is all about creatively using expression, using them without an appropriate controller (there are much more possibilities than just a pedal) does not make much sense.

Of course there are pedals that directly provide USB connectivity, but those are usually more expensive than your pedal plus one of the devices I mentioned above, so the $40 are not foolish at all.

-Michael

• True, but since the YDP-143 doesn't have a MIDI jack input socket the pedal doesn't seem to work. It does have a headphone jack input, but that's different.

• After noticing that my computer recognises the pedal as a speaker when connecting it using the jack adapters I bought, I decided to buy the beatbars adapter, and after a bit of tinkering about I finally got the pedal to work with the YDP-143, with the pedal connected to the computer. Thank you for the information!

I just wish I hadn't spent money on the other jack adapters that ultimately didn't work. Anyway, this problem is now solved!

• GREAT !

-Michael

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.