Our plans

edited February 2014 in User demos
Hi all,

it perhaps the right time to talk about Samplemodeling plans, in view of the experience gathered with Kontakt-based virtual instruments, and of the recent availability of Stefano’s SWAM new engine.

KONTAKT:

Althought Kontakt became popular as a sampler, basically a sophisticated player of sample collections, named libraries, it was subject to a constant process of refinement, making it a suitable platform for developing virtual instruments.

The deep differences between a traditional sample library and a virtual instrument are sometimes overlooked. A virtual instrument is a program that implements the functions of a real instrument by computer, sensors and actuators capable to modulate and shape articulations in real time.

Development of realistic virtual solo instruments was the aim of Samplemodeling. In this respect, Kontakt proved to be a quite suitable platform. In fact, our next instruments, French horn and Tuba are developed, and will be released on Kontakt 4.2.

SWAM:

Stefano’s acoustic modeling engine was developed to create plugins of solo instruments suitable for several hosts. Strictly speaking, it’s not a platform, since it cannot be programmed by developers or users. Hence, it cannot load, nor import, instruments created on different platforms.

The philosophy behind this engine is somewhat different from our previous instruments. It aims at reconstructing articulations by exploiting physically oriented techniques, rather than complex sample modulation. As a consequence, the instruments are intuitive to play, but may require some knowledge of the physical behaviour of the real instrument, and may be slightly more CPU intensive.

Stefano’s line was conceived to join, and not to substitute Samplemodeling Kontakt-based instruments. For this, and the technical reasons discussed above, we do not plan to “update” our previous instruments to the new engine.

An exception might concern The Sax Brothers. Although developed on Kontakt, using an unconventional engine, they suffer from a slight jitter problem, caused by the internal clock working in microseconds rather than synchronized to the sample. That’s why better result are obtained by setting the audio card at 88.2 kHz. The new SWAM engine clock is synchronized to the sample, so that this problem does not occur.

While it might be worthwhile (and sweet) :D to recompose the whole Sax Family using the new engine, please be assured that Samplemodeling will always value and protect your investments, as we demonstrated by providing several free major updates. A crossgrade plan at a very reasonable cost will be offered to all our sax customers. Future customers may take advantage of sax-bundles exploiting both platforms.

On a different note, the SWAM (Synchronous Wavelength Acoustic Modeling) engine may open new avenues for the development of exceptional solo strings. Also, Stefano works really fast... ;)

Thus, lovers (and enemies) of the Stradivari and the Gofriller may expect exciting news.

Best regards,

Giorgio & Peter

Comments

• edited 1:34PM
    I have nothing but the highest regard for all your work. I hope that the new platform allows us to reach even higher levels of musical expression. The bar was set quite high with the creation of the Trombone which is so much like a real trombone that it starts telling bad jokes in between takes, JUST LIKE A REAL TROMBONIST!!

Happy New Year to all of you and we appreciate and anxiously await your latest creations. (my dream is a clarinet and flute... hint... hint. I actually lost a gig yesterday because the client wanted clarinet. They thought my (Sample Modeling) Sax was absolutely believable, but insisted on a clarinet...)

Dan Rad
    webmaster wrote:
    An exception might concern The Sax Brothers. Although developed on Kontakt, using an unconventional engine, they suffer from a slight jitter problem, caused by the internal clock working in microseconds rather than synchronized to the sample. That’s why better result are obtained by setting the audio card at 88.2 kHz.
    so that's the reason. I thought it was because the samples were recorded in 88.2 kHz.

Thanks for the info, it gets more clear now.

my dream is a clarinet and flute
    we share the same dream. But I'm very happy with what I have already got.
    As a lover of the Gofriller (which I now control with an Eigenharp Alpha) and a poor soul who was never able to track down a copy of the Stradivarius, I am VERY excited about the prospect of solo strings in the not too very distant future. Thank you for your very complicated-sounding efforts on our behalf!

Pat
    That's good news, I think!
    I can't wait for the french horn library. Was just thinking a couple days ago that the weakest thing in my mockups are the french horns. If it's as good as the trombone, I will be very happy!

Jim
    I guess, making fhorn is MUCH more difficult than trombone.
    if yes, why? I'm not educated in brass instruments, so I wonder what makes you think so.
    Phil999 wrote: if yes, why? I'm not educated in brass instruments, so I wonder what makes you think so.
    it's all about non-linear behavior of instrument, I think Mr. Tommasini will confirm my words.
  • Yes, very difficult. For a number of reasons, mainly related to sampling. Among which:

1) complex sound radiation pattern

2) within-sample timbral inhomogeneity

3) multiple-takes timbral inhomogeneity

4) water-in-the tubings noise artifacts

A task for Samplemodeling.....

(It already sounds fantastic !) ;)

Giorgio
    well this sounds very complicated. But what's the difference between the French Horn and, say, a trumpet or trombone?
    Phil999 wrote: well this sounds very complicated. But what's the difference between the French Horn and, say, a trumpet or trombone?

In short, SampleModeling are the first within my recollection, who thoroughly investigated and 'deconstructed' real instrument into separate important pieces and behavior patterns, and then they reconstructed it again, using sampling and rather complicated programming/modeling.

It's fundamentally different from the usual & widespread method of creating of virtual instruments, when you just record samples of each articulation (say, marcato or legato) in several layers - from pp to ff. And that's why they make the only one instrument group per year. This is insanely long and complex work!

The more nonlinear (and difficult to predict) behavior of the instrument and the more playing details you have to take into account, the more difficult to reconstruct it in virtual form.

Mr. Tommassini has already said above, what the kind of the new problems (compared to the trumpet and trombone), they had to solve at this time.
    Great news.

I too would love to get woodwinds...but if the strings are more important to you i´ve got some questions:

a) will there also be a double-bass?

b) will it possible to play authentic double-stops and open strings?

c) are you planning on making the bow-position controllabe (so i can smoothly go from sul ponticello to sul tasto)?

d) speaking of sul pont: are you planning on recording/programming enhanced playing techniques? bowing the brigde, playing with enormous pressure so the instrument sounds like a wooden ship etc.?

Thanks and good luck, can´t wait for the Horn and the Tuba!

And by the way: the Ms. Sax-demo sound absolutely amazing. One more reason to pray for a clarinet (and the rest of the wood-family).
    And i forgot:

will it be possible to control the bowing? To create realistic "on the bow"-legato and bow-change-legato?

I know, these are complicated wishes...but i can´t imagine how a plugin should produce realistic solo strings without taking care of all these problems (and if you think about water in the horn...as somebody else said: if somebody can do it, it´s samplemodeling).
    soundtracker wrote: if somebody can do it, it´s samplemodeling).
    Quite agree. I don't know if SM will do all of your wishlist, but I'd like it too very much. All I know exactly is that SM are crazy and scrupulous guys!
    Me and my Akai EWI will be happy with Strings, woodwinds or whatever SM decides to create next. My wish list includes: Flute first and then Clarinet. Though great performing solo strings would also be exciting.
    +1 for flute ....
    I would expect major problems trying to implement Strings for Wind Controllers, since the large number of parameters that need to be controlled require both hands and both feet on the earlier version released with Garritan.

Wind controllers require both hands and mouth leaving only the feet free for controller manipulation.

Perhaps violin for WC will take two players working in precise collaboration -one to play the WC, and another to play with foot pedals and perhaps a small keyboard (used only for some parameter control). A job for twins!

Still, I hope an attempt will be made for Wind Controller players to allow us to play some limited version of solo strings. I've enjoyed violin and cello samples with my EWI in spite of the fact that much of the expressiveness was (bowing force, direction, etc) were unavailable. It was and is still better than nothing at all.

Thanks,

Dan
    The original post is now over 2 years ago. So, just wondering if there is any progress on the Strings front. ;) Perhaps it is more difficult than anticipated?
    I must admit i'm not waiting for strings as much as i am for flutes and double reed. Mainly because i don't see precisely how to go from a solo string to a string ensemble in an easy way... Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome to have strings, but IMO, one of the assets of the samplemodeling instruments is that you create your section with solo instruments, allowing great expressiveness...

And my computer wouldn't like having something like 30 solo strings playing together :p Maybe our computer are not ready yet for that :D
    Well, not everyone is looking for ensemble sounds from solo instruments! I have ZERO interest in this, which is why different folks need different instruments.

I would, of course, like to see flutes and double reeds as well, but would definitely like to see strings first!
    I hope to be the very first customer when flute/s are released! That's a no-brainer purchase for me.
    Not me, i'm a flutist :D

I Think have more interest with some more ethno instruments like a good duduk, ethno flutes, etc.

There are so much strings to get today, and i'm not a great fan of such ensemble sound. Ethno strings ? yes ! like irish violin, or mongolian strings, but simple string...

Just an opinion :P
    Anyway, I suppose, logically, their next move might be some woodwinds, in order to complete the "woodwind family"... It sounds like the more logical path to me, but maybe things are different from the inside ^^

Nevertheless, I think nearly everyone would buy new woodwinds, whereas more ethnical instruments would be at least as much hard work, for less sales at the end (well, i would buy them personaly, but as far as statistic goes... don't know).

I can be wrong, of course ^^
    My dream is Oboes, English Horn, Bassoons and a Double Bassoon at first. The same quality level like Clarinets are!!! It seems... incredible!!!
    In case this feedback is influencing the release priority. I think a SWAM flute that responds and sounds as good as SWAM clarinet and saxes will be very successful. Lots of your user base plays jazz and classical and flute is very popular in both. Strings or Oboe will mostly attract classical musicians and if they already own VSL, they might not even purchase it, since VSL is already very good...
    I think the Samplemodeling team has already revealed their hand, in the contest they just ran. Looks like the next one will be double-reeds (Oboe, etc.).
    Kobir wrote: ...they might not even purchase it, since VSL is already very good...
    My opinion is different. Comparing VSL Clarinets and Brass with SampleModeling Clarinets and Brass - difference is endless - VSL seems to be uncontrollable! (i respect vsl team... vienna ensemble pro is unique and very good software)
    kalkrishnan wrote: Looks like the next one will be double-reeds (Oboe, etc.).
    In the comparison thread "Too real, or not too real, that is the question" webmaster wrote:

"...Which instruments? Most likely the double reeds (oboe, english horn, bassoon.. ). When will they be available? Most likely a question of a few months..." Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013.

I believe that these instruments will be sold very successfully!
    Woodwinds in the first half of 2013 would be in-cre-di-ble!

(I will also buy the new saxophones although i nearly never need them. I bought Mr. Sax T years ago for a specific job and the update for me seems to be a no-brainer.

Ms. Sax S could be used as some kind of strange clarinet and the Bari could be a good option to play along with low brass instruments (in an orchestral, film music context))

But real woodwinds from SM, especially double reeds, are a dream coming true. On the other hand i really don´t need Solo or Orchestral strings as i do own nearly all libraries on the market and with the new Spitfire Sable Strings a really great and versatile small section is out.

I will check SM´s approach on strings out when it´s there nonetheless, but strings are the least problem out there i´d say.
    Hi Swam Gurus,

What about a Pipe Organ.

This seems like a perfect candidate for the Swam engine. A Swam pipe supposedly will sound a lot more "expressive" than a sampled one. I suppose additionally, Swam technology will be able to allow for realistically model the intermodulations that occur when a pipe is playing in the modulated air-pressure field of active pipes nearby. Sampling can't do this.

Of course a single PC will not be able to power the necessary some 20 Swam engines at the same time, but regarding the cost of a Pipe Organ or the loudspeaker system necessary to reproduce a sound field similar to that of a real Organ, using multiple PCs does not seem inappropriate.

Did you ever contact or have been contacted by Cameron Carpenter, who is known to be about to get/build the perfect virtual pipe organ for himself (and who supposedly is able to invest the necessary resources to trigger your interest).

-Michael

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.