My Intimate/Hollywood Strings preset, and recipe/tips share thread!

ITT: We discuss (and in my case ooze about) How we like to make SM Strings sound great, in ways pretty much only this library can.

I have achieved what me and colleagues like to call a "Classic Hollywood" sound, and I am incredibly pleased! Linked below:

Before :

https://soundcloud.com/wesley-trentacosta/sme-strings-demo-before-tlc/s-kvR8EpoNsE4

After:

https://soundcloud.com/wesley-trentacosta/sme-strings-demo-after-tlc/s-WqwtlZXyfzS

No CC11 usage, so focus is on absolute sound quality.

Used:

-An Instance of the solo violin on top of the Large Ensemble, Body 2. SKYROCKETS intimacy and will boost your attacks! Needless to say, make sure to cut its volume, and pan a little bit to the left.

-VSS2 To unify within a space, making it a little easier to EQ, and even easier to mix. M7 Reverb.

-Fab Filter Pro EQ To cut out the MASSIVE mid frequencies in Body number 2.

-REQ (Waves) On Low-Mid problem frequencies.

-A tiny dash of Fresh Air, when the context needs a less dark string sound.

As for CC1s, I like to START at max vibrato and then work my way down as need be.

This will make your sound more "golden age," and intimate, something no other library can consistently automate and replicate.

I honestly am a huge fan of the out of box sound, because it allows many possibilities with sculpting.

What kind of sounds are you all achieving in this VST?

For a library that is capable of profound realism, I'm not seeing much people really tap into it's inner potential...oddly enough.

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.