Is sample modeling compatible with Big Sur and Apple M1 devices?

Hi,

I envision to buy an Apple macbook M1. My question is simple : Is sample modeling compatible with Big Sur and Apple M1 devices?

Best regards

Comments

• AFAIU, the question is just if the OS is compatible with Kontakt, as the SM library just sees Kontkt, and not directly the OS or the hardware.

-MJichael

• edited November 2020

Ok in this case no worries. NI will made his soft compatible for sure if it's not already the case.

Thank you it's alway better to know.

• I know this is a dead thread but I just want to establish anectdotally that Kontakt player as included with SM Solo & Ensemble Strings does work on Big Sur/M1, but only through the Rosetta 2 layer since it [Kontakt] is still only distributed as an x86 binary. Believe it or not, Kontakt is one of the few Native Instruments products that NI has yet to affirm official ARM support for on M1 Macs, so until that day comes, I would tentatively say that M1 users can expect full functionality.

People unable to get Kontakt player working on the M1 should make sure that amd64/x86_64 plugins are being ran by a DAW that's also running in emulation mode via Rosetta. (Fwiw: software developers had 6 months prior to the official M1 release to recompile/port/etc. NI would have been privy to the same information)

Maybe since Apple just released two more iterations of this new architecture, NI will get their act together and actually support it natively? We can only hope.

• "Believe it or not, Kontakt is one of the few Native Instruments products that NI has yet to affirm official ARM support for on M1"

Yep I found this very odd, as IMHO Kontakt is their most important product. No native ARM version, no official support for running it via Rosetta in a native ARM DAW, and even no official support fir running it in an X86 DAW that runs via Rosetta :( :( :(

OTOH, the libraries running in Kontakt are not involved. If Kontakt does run decently in one way or another (including in Linux via Wine on a native Linux DAW), all libraries should be fine.

-Michael

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.