Notes off issues

I have been using the Sax Bros. Quite happily for about 18 months now and I am quite pleased with its capabilites.

However, recently I have been having “notes off” problems. Even though I have the notes off boxes checked in the instrument profile, I can not stop certain notes from playing. I can write a section or phrase that will play with no issues until a particular note gets played. The particular pitch seems irrelevant, but when I come to the same note in the same place the note continues to sound, and does so until I either mute it or change the notes off status (if off, to on, or vice versa) in the instrument profile.

I am running Sax Bros. as a plug-in in Pro Tools 12 with Windows 7. I have made no system changes since I first acquired and installed it.

How do I fix this?

Comments

• edited May 2018
    I would use some Midi Log plugin placed "right before" the sound plugin and verify that indeed a note off event has been sent in the Midi stream. (No idea how to do this with ProTools, though.)

-Michael
  • edited 11:21AM
    As widespread as Pro Tools is and due to its heavy professional use, it would seem that would be a priority fix. I have also played with samples and buffer sizes, to no consistent remedy. BTW, I am working at 192 KHZ sample rate.
    Are you aware of a “notes off” key switch? Sometimes, though not consistently I can create a notes off condition by entering a note outside of the playable range of the instrument.

The maddening thing is, I have done about one hundred arrangements with multiple sax parts with no problems, until this started showing up a couple weeks ago. I have made no hardware or software changes and not knowingly made any kind of setup changes.
    The log would not be a fix but just show what midi messages get sent to the sound plugin, so you can see what is happening.

-Michael
    In checking the log, there are no notes that should not be there. However, Baritone, while playing B also sounds D above it at the same time. The B ceases as directed, while the D continues until the “noted off” box is changed ( makes no difference which way) in the instrument profile. The MIDI log may be considered to be “clean.”
    And for that matter, nothing but note information is in the MIDI log.
    Mickeyrouse wrote:
    In checking the log, there are no notes that should not be there. However, Baritone, while playing B also sounds D above it at the same time.
    That is extremely weired. Sorry, no further ideas on my site.

-Michael
    Maybe you should try another host (e.g. Reaper features a fully functional Demo free installation) to try if ProTools is involved in the problem.

-Mihael
  • Update to the problem, though this forum may consider Sax threads moot. If “triggers” is unchecked that seems to solve the problem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.