The Trumpet 3 is out !!!!

edited June 2016 in User demos
Dear Friends,

We believe that The Trumpet, created by Giorgio Tommasini & Peter Siedlaczek, first released (v.1.01) in 2008 and subsequently updated to v. 2.52, is still unsurpassed in the field of virtual instruments. However, why not further raising the bar, for example by introducing the new outstanding features of the Trombone 3 as requested by many customers?

We were asked to maintain retro-compatibility with the original Trumpet. The task turned out to be quite difficult, and this major upgrade required quite a time.

But finally... The Trumpet 3 is out!

To discover all the new features, and to know about the exceptional discounts offered to all the previous owners of The Trumpet, please read the NEWS, or visit the new Trumpet 3 page http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products_trumpet.php

Best,

Giorgio & Peter

Comments

• edited 11:20PM
    TRE-MEN-DOUS !

STUPENDO !

If Trumpet 3 is as good as Trombone 3, I shall be the most satisfied with the world !

Thanks Samplemodeling !

:D

My music would not be the same without Sample Modeling libraries.
    Wonderful! Makes my day. Can't wait to load it up and use it this morning!
    You made my day! Looking forward to playing it.
    Fantastic news! I just happened to log in to the forum tonight to see this news....for some reason the notification email went to my Junk box. Have already bought the update and am looking forward to downloading and trying out The Trumpet 3 tomorrow.

Thanks guys!
    Can we hear demos of the new features ?

BTW.:

Trumpet 3 provides microtuning.

I understand than a physical trumpet does not (easily) produce "correct" semitones, as the player needs to tweak nearly any tone from the natural (harmonic) temper to the correct one.

How does this go together with a microtuning that is identical in each octave ?

-Michael
    I'm unable to activate The Trumpet 3 because I get an error saying that my serial number is registered to another User Account (1002)....which it certainly isn't (at least, the problem isn't at my end) I've contacted both SM support and NI support but has anyone else had an issue like this?

EDIT: Resolved
    Maddcow, can you tell us how you resolved your activating error ?

Did you get a new serial ?
    JoPo wrote: Maddcow, can you tell us how you resolved your activating error ?

Did you get a new serial ? Yeah, I got a new serial by contacting SM support via the CONTACT menu option above. I wasn't sure if it was just me with the serial number issue and so I didn't bother posting what I did to resolve it.
    Hi everybody !!!

Could someone tell me more about V3 after testing with WC ?

I'd like to install it asap, but in the middle of the summer, with 3/4 gigs / show per week, my mind and my reason asked me to wait .... :evil:

It's hard to wait .... can V3 coexist with 2.52 ???

Sound is it more realist ??? the breath could really be a gain ... what about the other new features ????

Regards,
    Tested with EWI today. It coexist with no issues with my 2.52, as it loads as a separate Kontakt library. It works great with wind controller, respond and sound very similar to 2.52. The breath sound on low velocity is suddle and make it sound bit more realistic. Editing harmonics is cool and allow you to further customize the sound, but by default it sound almost identical to 2.52. Virtual soundstage seems nice, but I haven't had chance to play with it enough.
  • edited July 2015
    As for myself love it, and find it very different in the way it reacts. Way more "punch". The raw sound in itself is the same, but the attacks seems way more pleasing now. I don't know if it just the way it reacts to inputs or something else (or just me hearing things ^^), but I love it.

And the virtual stage is marvelous! Personnaly, that's the main thing I was waiting for, since the dry sound of the trumpet is really harsh and hard to mix without making it dull or synthetic. Now it's super easy to blend it without losing its "punchy" quality.

The sculpting of the frequencies is also very nice, and even more useful than on a trombone since the trumpets is usually one of the most "on top" instrument in a mix.

For me, this update is a no-brainer!
    OK

Thanks for the reply ... i order it today and i'll try before the end of the week.

Regards,
    hi there! took advantage of the upgrade offer yet I am not able to play the new trumpet 3 is I am running kontakt 5.3.1 on mac 10.6.8 ... can you make trumpet 3 available for kontakt 5.3.1 as well or create a swam engine version of it? any ideas? best wishes! Matt :-)
    matt_the_manic wrote: hi there! took advantage of the upgrade offer yet I am not able to play the new trumpet 3 is I am running kontakt 5.3.1 on mac 10.6.8 ... can you make trumpet 3 available for kontakt 5.3.1 as well or create a swam engine version of it? any ideas? best wishes! Matt :-)

They can't make it for an earlier Kontakt version.

Since it is a Kontakt Player library, it is NI's policy to always use the latest version of Kontakt that is available at the time. Samplemodeling don't really have a choice/say in the matter.

So your only option is to update your OS.
    Ben H wrote: matt_the_manic wrote: hi there! took advantage of the upgrade offer yet I am not able to play the new trumpet 3 is I am running kontakt 5.3.1 on mac 10.6.8 ... can you make trumpet 3 available for kontakt 5.3.1 as well or create a swam engine version of it? any ideas? best wishes! Matt :-)

They can't make it for an earlier Kontakt version.

Since it is a Kontakt Player library, it is NI's policy to always use the latest version of Kontakt that is available at the time. Samplemodeling don't really have a choice/say in the matter.

So your only option is to update your OS.

sure they can make it compatible... look at the new trombone 3
  • edited July 2015
    matt_the_manic wrote: sure they can make it compatible... look at the new trombone 3

The Trombone 3 came out when Kontakt 4.2 was the latest version of Kontakt. That's why it works with K4.2 and higher.

Since The Trumpet 3 was released when Kontakt 5.4.2 came out, it is only released for this version and higher, as I already stated.

This is NI's policy and Samplemodeling CANNOT do anything about this!!!
    Ben H wrote: matt_the_manic wrote: sure they can make it compatible... look at the new trombone 3

The Trombone 3 came out when 5.3.1 was the latest version.

Since The Trumpet was released when 5.4.2 came out, it is only released for this version and higher, as I already stated.

before posting false information here you better check the samplemodeling website more carefully : "The Trombone v. 3.0 is also fully compatible with Kontakt Player 4.2." It simply is possible if you take the effort. :P
    matt_the_manic wrote: Ben H wrote: matt_the_manic wrote: sure they can make it compatible... look at the new trombone 3

The Trombone 3 came out when 5.3.1 was the latest version.

Since The Trumpet was released when 5.4.2 came out, it is only released for this version and higher, as I already stated.

before posting false information here you better check the samplemodeling website more carefully : "The Trombone v. 3.0 is also fully compatible with Kontakt Player 4.2." It simply is possible if you take the effort. :P

They can't make it for a previous version. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

When it gets sent to Native Instruments for special encoding, NI release it for the LATEST version of Kontakt to be released. Samplemodeling DON'T get to decide what version they want to make it for. Native Instruments dictate this and they WILL NOT make it compatible with older versions.

The Trombone came out when version 4 was available... that's why it also works in K4. Now that K5 is available, NI absolutely WILL NOT release Kontakt Player libraries in K4 format.

So feel free to be wrong.
    Ben H wrote: . Now that K5 is available, NI absolutely WILL NOT release Kontakt Player libraries in K4 format They could do a trumpet based on their own SWAM engine. That would run without K5 being installed. :D :D :D
    MSchnell wrote: Ben H wrote: . Now that K5 is available, NI absolutely WILL NOT release Kontakt Player libraries in K4 format They could do a trumpet based on their own SWAM engine. That would run without K5 being installed. :D :D :D

I'm in the same boat with 10.6.8 Matt. But I have read that the SWAM instruments are very different platforms from Kontakt that would take enormous amounts of re-programming. This was much discussed when the Saxes came out on SWAM. I doubt that the guys are up for this much reprogramming to accommodate a few of us holdouts. I've been dealing with these issues for a long time - most notably when Apple bought Emagic and my lovely PCs became doorstops.

As for me, I'm taking it as a cue that it's time to upgrade my system. Our systems will only become more and more obselete as new products are released. Just part of the life we chose!
    Dear Friends,

we would like to clarify two important topics mentioned in this thread, namely :

- Compatibility, or lack thereof, of Trumpet 3 with earlier versions of Kontakt.

- Kontakt vs. SWAM-based instruments.

The reasons for developing and releasing the Trumpet 3 on the more recent, yet stable, version of Kontakt are threefold:

1) Native Instruments' policy is to release and support any new instrument on the current version of Kontakt/Player, as correctly reported by Ben H.

2) Newer versions often include new features concerning processing modules and scripts.

3) Newer, stable versions often solve previously reported bugs and malfunctions.

The Trombone 3 lesson was very instructive in this respect. We wished to maintain compatibility with Kontakt 4.2, which looked very stable and reliable. We therefore asked Native Instruments to revise their policy , allowing us to release this instrument on a previous version of Kontakt. The consequences were: a) the missing nicnt file issue, requiring several workarounds to be applied by the customers before Native Instruments could finally work it out, several months later, 2) serious issues concerning the activation of the instrument on newer Mac OS. We are not going to repeat this error. Perseverare diabolicum :-)

The reasons for developing our instruments on the Kontakt platform, rather than technical, are mainly related to our conception of sonic quality. Since the development of our "sample-modeled" technologies, no other approach proved to be as effective in reproducing any musical phrase without crossfade artifacts and maintaining the timbre of the original recordings. Stefano Lucato's Synchronous Wavelength Acoustic Modeling (the SWAM engine) represents a completely different approach which proved quite effective. It involves, however, some deconstruction of the original material, potentially leading to deterioration of the quality of sound. Moreover, differently from Kontakt-based instruments using two level keyswitches, SWAM instruments require more direct control by the user to shape each articulation. In fact, the highest priorities, in SWAM philosophy, are realtime playability and responsiveness to the input in a physically oriented sense, rather than accurate reproduction of the performance of an experienced musician.

That's why the two lines of products, representing two basically different conceptions, will always coexist.

Philosophies cannot simply migrate to another platform. ;-)

Giorgio & Peter.
    Just had a chance to play with the new expression mapping feature and it is great! Over time sample modeling is adding many of the little tweaks users did in DAW or external plugins into the configuration of the instrument. MainStage has a great built in plugin for expression mapping, but my preferred live serup is in Reaper and it is now great to have flexible accurate expression mapping within the Kontakt setting of the instrument.

i also noticed pitch bend sound more realistic. I always felt the Trombone had more realistic pitch bending then The Trumpet. Now I think they are at same level.

My first reaction to Trumpet 3 was that is sound and react very similar to older version. After a few weeks I think all these small changes together make a big difference and there is no doubt that The Trumpet 3 is one of the best virtual instrument emulation I ever played on my EWI!
    Trumpet V3 is a real step ahead : more realist, a little bit warmer and rounder than the oldest version ...

All jazz musicians i play with said it ...

They also said trumpet and flute are on the top : when they close their eyes while playing togheter, it's difficult for them to make difference between SM instruments and real one's ...

Except for the saxes, and mainly swam tenor : comments remain less positive ...
    Interesting Thread for me as a Jazz musician and very happy "Flutes" owner.

I am considering to go for the "Saxes" since long. In fact the very first SWAM instrument ("Lady Sax" soprano) triggered my decision to buy a SampleModeling product, but before I did we enhanced our band (Jazz and Brazilian stuff) by a real sax player (Alto and Soprano), and so I decided to go for the Flutes. Now I seem do have done right. Reading this thread maybe Trumpet 3 will be the next bait for me, instead of the SWAM Saxes. :D

zeppusclub, can you let us her an example ?

-Michael
    I will say about the Saxes - I think they're awesome. I do a lot of library type work and I used to use the Sax Bros on some leads now and then. I always ended up replacing them with real players. Since getting the SWAM version, I haven't felt the need to go with live players (sorry to my player friends). I use the TEC breath controller and they work great for both solo and ensemble use.
    Hi,

LHall : saxes sound is awesome, i agree ... this is not the matter ... in fact, it's only a "live" playing problem (not due to samplemodeling sounds) ...

I think that some of us have surpassed the capacity of the whole system :

- The breath sensor response of the ewi itself (rise time / fall time / curve / slope edge), mostly when encoded in midi, due to the midi limitation with only 127 steps on CC.

- Asio latency, computer limitation and sound processing are also important on gig .... etc ...

And worse : i take lessons with a pro sax player and also start playing with real pro jazz fusion musicians ...

Every week, i go deeper inside the settings to reach the maximal realism, but i think i'm at the limits ...

When you work on a daw with keyboard, BC and mouse, or when you play jazz ballads or half tempo with ewi and backtracks : it's all right ...

It's just a little bit more difficult to obtain the same result on yellowjackets, steps ahead, chick corea and jeff beck tunes ... :?

MSchnell : V3 is really a major improvement, you don't need to wait !!! i'll post a sample asap.

Regards,
    MSchnell,

Just a short sample of V3 while training on BIB loop ...
    zeppusclub wrote:
    - The breath sensor response of the ewi itself (rise time / fall time / curve / slope edge), mostly when encoded in midi, due to the midi limitation with only 127 steps on CC.

I feel the same. But in fact the Midi standard does define a way to do CCs with 16384 steps ("High resolution Midi"). This even automatically is compatible with standard 0..127 CCs. And with USB no latency degradation will be imposed.

Unfortunately at the Moment neither SampleModeling nor TEC support High resolution Midi :( .

zeppusclub wrote:
    - Asio latency, computer limitation and sound processing are also important on gig .... etc ...
    I don't think that with a decent PC, latency is an issue. I have an i7 and my estimation is that software latency account for a similar amount as some 5 m distance on an average stage.

zeppusclub wrote: And worse : i take lessons with a pro sax player and also start playing with real pro jazz fusion musicians ... Lot of fun :) . Happily I do have a real sax player in my band, and right now I am just doing some backing with the Swam (alto) flute. But I think I will try one solo or the other some day soon.

zeppusclub wrote: V3 is really a major improvement, you don't need to wait !!! i'll post a sample asap.
    Got it. Great ! Thanks.

I finally am beginning to find my way with the TEC BBC and the Flutes. Once I am at a state that is not completely frustrating any more I might go for Tv3.

Thanks a lot !

-Michael
    Do you guys think the SM instruments would actually sound better with 14bits MIDI?

I'm sceptical because I think the interpolation is mature technology and does the job. On the AkaiPro forum it has been mentioned that timing issues on the EWI 5000 could be caused by MIDI buffer overflows.

Well, perhaps SM can do a beta with a 14bits setup. :?:
    frokka wrote: Do you guys think the SM instruments would actually sound better with 14bits MIDI?
    For me actually not, because the Breath controller would need to support this as well. As TEC did not implement it yet, even though I did try to push them, I would not even be able to test a SWAM 14 bit enhancement in realtime. (BTW this would not need to be a "Beta", as the 14 Bit Midi technology automatically is fully compatible to the legacy 7 bit implementation: if the low 7 bit are not received they just stay on a default of "64".)

Regarding the Kontakt based SM instruments, SM can't help with high resolution in any way, as this would need to be a Kontakt feature. Supposedly the existing SM instruments would automatically benefit from a 14 Bit Kontakt engine.

Regarding advantage: For me it is really bad that the SWAM Flute starts with an attack when slowly increasing the expression value from 0 to 5. It's impossible to do a "soft starting" sound. Here a decent resolution really could help. On higher expression values than 5, Swam performance is just great as it is.

-Michael

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.