SM own midi editor [Loooooong shot feature request]

edited April 2013 in General Questions
Hi everyone !

I just wanted to discuss an idea that has been in my mind for quite a few month. It's just a raw idea, that might useless after thinking deeply about it, but i just wanted to give it a try and discuss it with you, guys.

I was thinking that my dream, as a composer (not talking about live here), would be to have a sample modeling midi editor, more complex and precise than the generic editor of the current daws. It could be rewire (not sure, don't know well these protocoles).

The main idea would be to allow hundreds of small "midi automations" that could be done automatically but intelligently by the midi editor.

For exemple, it would become easy to shape the attacks precisely, with tons of presets to choose from, depending on the different instruments. You would still be able to draw the breath parameter manually, but you would also have some kind of "ADSR" parameters for each note.

The end of notes could also have tons of things that could be done in a simple mouse click.

We can also imagine some kind of "intelligent breath" wich would, at least partially, understand the music and allow intelligent editing (for example, you select a bunch of notes, set them to triplets, and some parameters are tweaked accordingly). A long shot, i know ^^.

This would also allow things like some "score indications" (creshendos, fortissimo...) being directly interpreted by the midi editor. Of course, one could always check and edit if something's not right.

I know that for live stuff, it is completely useless, but when you're doing ensembles, and that suddenly you change your mind about something your whole brass section is doing...

This also could allow some nice humanization settings, with for examples, notes that you specifically humanize less than others...

Once again, it's just raw thoughts, but i'm sure there would definitely be something... Would it be worth it ? that's another question...

Comments

• edited 1:38PM
    That's an interesting idea...Count me in for anything that improves the playability of these instruments. Their "playability" as it stands is the best that's out there for me.

I don't know if SM has the time & resources to develop something like that. I wish SM only the best, and I hope they achieve everything they set out to do. I for one, am very happy they are focusing mainly on creating instruments for now.

I won't bash other developers here but I'm always disappointed when companies that do something extremely well, decide to "broaden" their product base to cover things that other companies do extremely well.

If it's a vast improvement or new approach, I'm fine with that. Now watch, Sample Modeling will release a breath controlled TB-303 model and I'll have to eat my words! :shock:

The SM team definitely has the chops to create cool stuff beyond instruments...the SWAM engine is a great example. Please don't think I'm bashing you either, Plougot! It's a great topic. :) -Perry-
  • edited April 2013
    Oh, maybe i was not clear. I prefer to have as much instruments as possible before this midi editor.

That's also why it's a looooooooooooooong shot ^^.

I completely agree with you. That was just some abstract thinking about how to improve things beyond the instruments themselves.

But i know that the best thing would be that the actual daws allow some "third party midi editor" which could allow any company to have its own way to tweak midi datas...

But that would be a very veryyyyyyyyyy long shot ^^.
    I think this is one of the most "civil" forums I visit. The perfect place for "abstract thought" :D -Perry-
    If you wait a couple of years (maybe...um...60?) some machines might be able to read and interpret a score (playing EWI controllers controlling samplemodeling instruments).

Just hand them over your compositions and they´ll do a great performance.

It´s only a question of CPU, artificial intelligence and artificial musicality (and time; and money). As we all know: if someone can do it, samplemodeling will be it :roll:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.