ROLI keyboard block MPE expression

Has someone done the mapping? If so could you share?

After touch is used for expression on other synths. I couldn't figure out how to link this with expression (it only seemed to accept CCs).

thanks in advance

David Thiel Aud4Int

Comments

• edited October 2019

I actually happily use the AM solo strings with the Roli Seaboard Rise 49 when playing with my band. Works nicely even if this at the moment is just a rather raw implementation.

I suppose there is more to decently using such a setup than just "mapping", especially if you want to use (e.g.) Equator with full MPE capability by just switching patches. Otherwise you would need to change the setup of the Roli automatically when changing the patches. (In fact I even do this for some of it's parameters, but AFAIK, this is not possible with the "Block".)

Using Reaper as a VST host, it was possible to do a live Midi preprocessing script that converts the MPE data from the Roli to standard Midi to be digested by a not MPE aware plugin.

Moreover you need to modify the pitch bend range in a way that the plugin performs a bending +/- one octave with the correct range of finger movement.

-Michael

• edited October 2019

Of course I have been talking about the Sample Modeling Solo Strings.

Before I had these, I already did use the Audio Modeling "Cello" with the Seaboard. The MPE->single Channel conversion issue is more or less the same with any complex solo voice plugin.

-Michael

• Hi. I'm trying to set up pitch bend range to 12 for use with Roli Block and I can't find the way to do it on SM String Patches.

I can't use de pitch bend correctly with Roli and SM Ensemble & solo Strings.

I need to modify the pitch bend range in a way that the plugin performs a bending +/- one octave with the correct range of finger movement.

Can anyone help me?

-Raul Perez

• edited February 2020

You can / should crank up the Pitch Band sensitivity to 4/00 % in Wind Controtler mode.

Additionally you need a plugin that multiplies the Pitch Band value by an appropriate factor.

I did such a plugin for use with Reaper. I suppose it can be used with other DAWs via the free "ReaPlug" suite. But I do suppose there are other plugins for that purpose.

BTW.: Just Yesterday my band members praised me for the Solo I performed on "Bei Mir Bistu Schejn" with the Sample Modeling Violin and the Seaboard 😀 😀 ) .

-Michael

• Thank You Very much for your quick answer!

This afternoon will try to do what you explain to me. I'm going to investigate the ReaPlug you comment.

Tomorrow I will write about my results!

Thank you!

-Raúl

• ReaPlugs is just a means to run Reaper specific "JSFX" plugins in other DAWs. If you don't find a Pitchbend stertching VST, you need both. ReaPlugs and my JSFX. Let me know if you want me to post the JSFX here.

-Michael

• How do you find the SM solo cello compares to the AM cello when using the roli? I prefer the sound of the SM cello but watching videos of the AM cello with the roli, it just seems to work so well!

Any video examples available of using the roli with SM strings? Particularly with the new cello update......???

• In my (not very elaborated ) tests, I found the SM Cello a lot more natural sounding, but the AM Cello a lot more "playable", meaning that the finger movements on the Seaboard translate more natural to the sound. I did not yet test the SM Cello v 1.1.

In fact for live playing I right now only use the SM violin (rather happily). I'm loking forward to testing the SM violin 1.1 ASAP.

I am not able to do any Videos 🙄

-Michael

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.