Software vibrato in The Trumpet

edited February 2009 in Windcontrollers
I've seen the software vibrato function mentioned in another post, but I'm not quite sure how to enable it. I'm using a Morrison Digital Trumpet via Kontakt 2 on my iMac. I can do a "lip vibrato" via the mouthpiece, but a software vibrato, particularly as described, would be nice.

The vibrato thumb switch on the MDT does not produce a very realistic vibrato.

Thanks in advance!

Pat

Comments

• edited 6:19AM
    The vibrato is controlled with cc19 (Vibrato Rate) and cc1 (Vibrato Intensity).
    Hmm... to follow up. How do I access those CC functions when I have the trumpet set to "wind controller"? Am I missing where these specific functions reside?

Thanks,

Pat
    AHA... so it appears that I can manipulate controllers 1, 2, and 3 while in wind controller mode... didn't know I could do that.

New question, then... is there an adjustment I can make to delay the onset of vibrato until I've held the note a bit longer.

Lastly, one user recommended that I set the Vel to Dynamics setting to zero. What do I accomplish by doing this?

Thanks,

Pat
    The vibrato is invoked with cc1. When you want the vibrato to start, set cc1 to a non-zero value. It's entirely up to you (and your controller) as to how this is achieved.

"Vel. to dynamics" can be used by keyboard players to affect dynamics by how hard they strike the keys (as opposed to a pedal). Wind controller users should use cc11 or cc2 only to control dynamics. From the manual:

"CC25: dynamics linked to velocity. The dynamic is normally controlled by CC11 only. CC25 allows to link the initial dynamics to note-on velocity. This allows fast sforzato-crescendo effects, often too difficult to create with the expression pedal CC11."

You can check out the manual for more info.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.