Why aren't there any *polyphonic* patches?

Before someone answers, please know that I fully understand how unique these instruments are, and I'm thoroughly familiar with the use of controllers to create the stunningly realistic performances.

But not every use for these instruments is a "keeper." What I mean is that I'm usually sequencing parts that will be replaced by live players. For example, I just did a substantial big-band chart, using 4 instances of The Trumpet and 4 instances from The Saxophones.

But it's extremely annoying — not to mention time-consuming -- that we can't (even *optionally*) load a patch that we can use to play polyphonically, so we can play and hear *chords*.

I ddn't need 4, individualized trumpet performances. I just needed to play the chords into the sequencer. In fact, to try to save *some* time, after playing part 1, I'd copy that to other tracks, then change the notes. Now, if I were sequencing performances that I was going to *keep*, of course I wouldn't do that, because I'd want each trumpet part to be slightly different — in timing, timbre, etc. But for this purpose, it was fine that they were identically timed, because the sequence is just for a demo, and then it'll get replaced by live players.

So, I don't understand why these instruments can't have polyphonic patches! It's simply not practical or tenable to have to play in each part, one by one. I'm a pianist, and I think in chords. It's such a waste of time, having to figure out each individual part and then play them in, one at a time.

Even worse when I score movies. There's no time for all of this fiddling — unless it's for a solo performance that will be kept. But you must realize that many of us are using these wonderful instruments as PLACEHOLDERS for the live performances that will be recorded later. So, why do you force us to play only one part at a time? There's simply not enough time in the day to make that viable, project after project.

Why, why, why can't we have polyphonic patches??? Please!!

:-)

Comments

• edited 10:41AM
    soundsgoodtome wrote: ...to play polyphonically, so we can play and hear *chords*.
    I suppose you mean "use a Keyboard to play polyphonically. ..."

In fact I do not do much sequencing, but use the "Flutes" with a "TEC BBC" Breath controller for (monophonic) live playing. I do this using "Reaper" (in "Stop" / "Monitoring on" Mode) as a VST host.

So I took a rather deep look at what Reaper can do.

An advantage of Reaper's over other DAWs is that it's in-depth programmable and hence a lot of nice (mostly free) add-ons are available. I use "Live Config" (a part of the "SWS" extension set) to manage "patches" that each consists of multiple VST instruments and effects. (In fact I am currently writing an upgrade to the docs of LiveConfigs as a thank-you to the developer, who provided a new version of the software but does not find the time to upgrade the manual).

Here, Reaper allows for "Scripted Track Effects", that work like VST plugins, but consist just of a script file (in eel Language), called "JSFX effects" in Reaper speak. Using JSFX you can do a plugin that in realtime splits a polyphonic Midi stream into several monophonic instruments supposedly by assigning a dedicated Midi channel to each of them. So you can play a polyphonic track "live" and while listening to your performance, record it to a Midi track. AFAIK such a JSFX already is available ("MIDI Chord Splitter"), but I did not yet test it. Now you can load multiple instances of SWAM instruments in a track, assign multiple Midi channels and play them in parallel.

I suppose the result - e.g. when done with a Breath controller and a keyboard - will not sound great but doable. To get decent "final" results you need to apply more sophisticated logic on the Midi stream and use multiple different settings/instruments for the individual VSTi's. The "Smart Voice Split" and "Smart Chord" processing of "Session Horns pro" (see below) does a great job on this behalf.

Otherwise, e.g. with "Flutes" I assume it will sound like a Pipe Organ. But I am sure it will be a really excellent Pipe Organ simulation. This is why I plan to try this one day soon.

All this said, I think that - additionally to your request - Sample Modeling should think about providing real "blown" polyphonic instruments like Accordion and Blues Harp playable with Keyboard and Breath controller (plus Pipe Organ :D ). Who else is more entitled to do this job ?!?!?!?

BTW.: For the work you intend, maybe Native Instruments' "Session Horns pro" might be worth looking at. I suppose the demo tracks show exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

-Michael
    The goal of SM's instruments is to be as "real" as possible. So asking them to play polyphonically is certainly asking them to compromise what they are designed to be.

When I write, I simply figure out my parts using instruments from my WIVI library. I think of WIVI band instruments as my "writing" instruments, and then my SM instruments as my "performance" instruments.
    LHall wrote: The goal of SM's instruments is to be as "real" as possible. So asking them to play polyphonically is certainly asking them to compromise what they are designed to be.

Yep. It's the same reason why they won't stretch the instruments to play beyond their natural range.
    Both is a very good and respectable attitude !

Nonetheless it would be a friendly move, if for either issue there would be settable parameters that allow to extend the usability of the product while deliberately decreasing the perfection of authenticity,.

-Michael

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.