Live play sounds different!

Hi all!

I know Sample Modelling is mostly created in the studio, for the studio or home use.

However, in live play, I don't hear the nice timbre as when I play in front of my computer with recordings.

I tried a few different instruments, but all the same. Nothing to do with the setup though,..

For bass guitar I experience the same things, and music instruments that sound great in the bedroom, may not sound so great in live situations. Likewise, music instruments that sound great live, may sound harsh or unpleasant in the bedroom/studio.

I was wondering if anything has been done about it, since I last played (I haven't used Samplemodelling software for over 5 years now) ?

Comments

• IMHO, Sample Modeling instruments are intended for live playing from start up. are perfect for live playing, and in fact some of the best choice for live playing. I have bought the for exactly this reason.

There are lots of videos on Youtube with live performance with SM instruments.

I use e.g. the "Trumpet" very happily for live recording and on stage. (I also use the Audio Modeling "Flute" in a similar way.) (see -> www.bschnell.de/b e.g. -> "Stolen moments" and "My Funny Valentine".

Being a hobby musician, I don't do practicing enough to get decently up to speed with the other SM instruments I have.

But it's very critical,which controller hardware you use.. For the brass (and the Flutes) I use a TEC BBC Breath Controller, for the strings I use a Roli Seaboard.

But some others seem to get great success with a normal synth keyboard and an expression pedal.

And of course this any such setup a "new instrument" and needs some practicing.

-Michael

• @MSchnell Could you share your Seaboard settings for SM Solo and Ensemble strings? I thought only the Audio Modeling strings are compatibile with Seaboard, so I'd be very interested in learning how you got SM strings to work with it.

• edited January 2022

It's not just settings.

As a Reaper user, I did a JSFX plugin that converts MPE to single channel Midi. This allows me to use the Seaboard with Equator and with standard (non MPE) VSTis without switching the Seaboard mode.

-Michael

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.