A few user demo's

Happy to see this new strings product from Sample Modeling, but I wasn't very keen on the sound of the official demo's (sorry Fabio).

So I tried to change the color of the violin from Sample Modeling with a few plugin's, moreover out of interest in the possibilities. I was quite happy to be honest with the first results.

BUT, fiddling with the CC100 settings I found out that other instruments came very close to what I reached with the prior configuration, but simpler in one word. So we could say, why all the fuzz of a plugin chain then?

Anyway, I thought I could be interesting for all to show both versions here. I used the Tchaikovsky midi demo, heavely adapted to my taste.

There is one is with customization by TraxV3 + Toneboosters Enhance (also a nice plugin for timbral changes), used here instrument4 (CC100=66, default).

The other one is without any customization, used here instrument1 (CC100=0).

Both version have reverb added (Fabfilter) though.

To offer you some more impressions I did the same with a small fragment from the first Violin Sonata of Brahms. Two versions as above,

I think it is possible to let it sound according to taste with the different IR's. Maybe we're not here yet fully, also there are so many parameters to be handled. It was such a pleasure to work with this violin. At the moment working on some cello and bass tracks btw.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy this contribution. Let me know your opinions here.

So to conclude, only after a week, my impression is very positive, of course there is a learning curve, I didn't touch timbral settings yet for example. I also did a small mockup with the ensemble strings of Sheltering Sky (Sakamoto), just marvellous sound and expression. But it needs more fine tuning. Maybe I'll post this later. I am glad this product solves and will solve many issues with the sample libraries that I had for years now. Good work you guys!

Comments

• Very well done, Erik. We are very happy that you could get these results in just one week.

Giorgio & Peter.

• no further comments about these wonderful pieces? Have all Samplemodeling customers become shy?

Giorgio

• Hi Erik,

nice experiments!

As you discovered, the (cc100) Body IR is a key feature of all the SM products, and of course it is for Solo&Ensemble Strings. It is actually designed for the reason you explained, being the taste of a user or the requested colour of an arrangement different.

This second point is even more important in my opinion, because for instance in your Tchaikovsky I like the v4 more than the too dark v1, but in Brahms it's the opposite, I find the v4 too acid, and v1 more on spot.

To be very honest by the way I don't like the metallic resonance underlined by your effect chain: maybe it get masked when you merge the line into an orchestration, but listening to it stand alone give me a bad feeling of forced or slightly distorted sound. 

It happens to me as well when I try to force the instruments into external plugins for sound shaping, and that's the reason for the collection of IR provided by SM, because a different body IR often is a better way to change the sound, compared to external plug-in chain.

• Hi Fabio,

I am working on this topic. So far there is nice learning curve. I will implement your comments in the future!

• It does sound fantastic, Erik!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.