Samplemodeling Solo & Ensemble Strings

edited May 2019 in User demos
Dear friends,

As you may have noticed, we uploaded to our website a midi sequence interpreting Vivaldi's "Inverno" for solo & ensemble strings: https://www.samplemodeling.com/en/teaser_strings.php

The demo was made using solely the current prototypes of our new series of Solo & Ensemble String Instruments using a completely new, proprietary technology. The instruments are sample-based, sample-modelled of course, and have absolutely nothing to do with physically modeled instruments.

The main purpose of the demo was to show that these instruments are in an advanced stage of development, and that they can yield results not attainable with conventional libraries.

Much remains to be done, to perfect these instruments. However, we expect to enter the beta phase in about one month.

Stay tuned, other demos will follow soon. :-)

Giorgio & Peter

Comments

• edited December 2018
    This is great news indeed !!!!

The sound of the demo is fantastic. I suppose only very few experts will in a "blind" test suggest that it's not the original sound of the orchestra shown in the video they hear .

Now as you are not likely to swap horses any more :) , can you disclose if the "completely new, proprietary technology" is based on Kontakt (scripting) or similar, or if you finally crafted your own independent sample playing and modeling software ?

Thanks for that excellent work,

-Michael (staying tuned for brass instruments done in that technology :)
  • edited 3:48PM
    Looking forward to this. If it's on par with your brass libraries in terms of the playability and realism balance, then it will be very exciting, indeed. Best wishes for a successful release, Giorgio and Peter.
    Hooray! Maybe now the serial forum whiners will STFU and allow you to get on with your work! ;)

Nah, they'll probbaly just keep harassing you about a release date instead. :roll:
    I’m pretty impressed with the demo video, guys. Looking forward to the final product whenever it’s ready.
    Can't wait to have it, I just need a strings library with the flexibility of your instruments. :o
  • Thank you very much, dear Samplemodeling friends.

Please accept our best wishes for a happy new year, harbinger of fantastic instruments.

Giorgio
    This is so exciting! It would be wonderful (but perhaps too much to ask) to have an option for gut strings. (I'm mostly interpreting Baroque music, and would love to be able to emulate that gut string sound.) Maybe in a later iteration. But, I'll be happy with whatever you come up with; I'm sure your strings will be better than anything I have so far. Can't wait!
  • edited February 2019
    Once the engine is crafted and known to work perfectly for string instruments, doing gut strings (or whatever) instead of steel strings will "only" need to do a new set of samples to be taken from an appropriate physical instrument. We do know that SM is perfect in doing this work :)

-Michael
    Based on the audio sample, this sounds very promising. It sounds as if its improved over the previous solo strings effort especially with regards to the bow modeling/scripting which I felt was one of the most noticeable weaknesses of the predecessor product. Please include me on the Beta testing effort. I have a background in testing software and would be happy to participate in giving feedback on the Beta and report bugs and provide the steps necessary to reproduce them to assist in this be a successful project! Running Reaper 5.965 in my setup on intel i7 with 32gb ram in Win 10.
    Hi Giorgio and Peter,

I am curious, when you say "using a completely new, proprietary technology," does that mean that your new strings will not be Kontakt based, and using a new player instead?

Or does it mean that the new technology will be used in the preparation/treatment of the samples, prior to using them inside of Kontakt?
    I've been asking this questions since the de-merger of Sample Modeling and Adio Modeling, and Sample Modeling announcing their "propriety technology". No answer yet :( .

-Michael
    When I initially read their comment, I had assumed that it meant that they had new techniques for preparing the samples prior to using them in Kontakt.

It wasn't until I saw your comment posted on another forum, that I realised that it could be taken either way.
  • Hi Ben H, and MSchnell,

Kontakt based, sample-modeled based, like the Brass. New, proprietary technology for the Ensembles. Like no one else. :-)

Giorgio
    Hi Giorgio,

That's great news, although I wouldn't have minded either way anyway.

I own all your products and think they're fantastic!

So I probably still would have purchased them, even if you had changed to another platform.
    Hello, thank you for your wonderful products. I especially enjoy the French horns, and trombones.

I am currently using many libraries for strings some with Kontakt some with proprietary players, I would like to participate in the beta for the new strings, how would that be possible?

Cheers from Paris!
    Is there any information on this?

I'm trying different string libraries this days but I feel like any of this is lacking of something...I need playability and flexibility, not the same bunch of articulations of sampled libraries.
    Time goes too slowly.... coming soon...
    Well there's no reply this forum seams dead?
    I believe there’s plenty happening behind the scenes.
    I think you should give us some informations. I'm afraid of being dead before .. :lol:
    Dear friends,

We are very happy to see the enthusiasm for our upcoming string library. ;)

All the instruments, solo & ensemble, are in an advanced stage of development, and in-house beta testing, debugging and fine-tuning are progressing nicely. It is a very ambitious project, encompassing solo violin, viola, cello, double bass and our proprietary method for expressive ensembles.

As we break new ground during the development process, implementing changes in all of the instruments can be time consuming. We believe our results will justify the additional time in development.

Stay tuned.

The Samplemodeling Team.
    Sounds great. I am eagerly awaiting all this new stuff !

Thanks,

Dan
    I am waiting with impacience to be able to compare swam violin... and your software. the most fantastic with samplemodeling software is to offer solutions with several instruments of the same type mixed. swam does not offer it. when you put two or three swam flutes to create a set there are a lot of phase problems. with three trumpets or three trombones we do not have the problem. it's worth the wait
    The Trumpet features especially crafted ensemble instruments.

I suppose with SWAM instruments, you need to humanize some parameters to get rid of phase problems.

-Michael
    I tried with the swam the result is not convincing. it's a big disaster. I hope they will someday consider this problem...
    I have their "Cello" and it's nice as a solo instrument.

As your issue seems to be a decent shortcoming, you should bug them in their own forum -> https://community.audiomodeling.com/.

-Michael
    yes solo the sound is fantastic. but mixed two flutes or 6 cello is impossible.the sound is disastrous. but I believe in them. I am sure they will work on the problem of IR harmonqiues and the first reflexions.

I hope that the sound of string solo and ensemble gives a better result.

I need a realistic ensemble sound....

so i'am waiting

:roll:
    Hello.

will you offer crossgrade for users of swam solo string bundle?

Best regards

eric
    At some point there was a mention of a future MIDI standard upgrade that would break the limit on dynamic range. Hopefully your Strings technology will be ready to rapidly conform to a new industry wide MIDI standard.

Like, everyone else I look forward to the new Strings, which I expect will use and expand the excellent user interface that that your Brass instruments already have.

Thanks,

Dan
    dstong wrote: MIDI standard upgrade that would break the limit on dynamic range.
    What do you mean by this ?

In the standard, we already do have

- "high resolution CC": optionally additionally send a message with CC # + 32 for lower 7 bis of the value to get a resolution of 14 bits

- "high resolution velocity": optionally additionally send a message with CC # 88 for lower 7 bis of the value to get a resolution of 14 bits

- Midi MPE (allowing for dynamically controlling multiple pressed notes separately)

High resolution CC and MPE wold be very appropriate for (multiple-)solo string, woodwind and brass instruments. I decently miss both of these with my Breath controller and my Seaboard.

On top of this, Midi 2.0 (released in January 2019) introduces the possibility of doing CC - alike messages with a resolution of 32 bits (with a much increased volume of data).

But I feel that 14 bit is good enough in close to all cases.

-Michael

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.