Pianissimo Tenor Sax

edited March 2013 in User demos
A real test for me is creating a convincing solo instrument at a very soft dynamic. This song is a bit corny but my wife plays saxes and she thought it was quite believable. It's the SWAM Tenor played with a BC3 & Kurzweil PC3x keyboard. What do you guys think? -Perry-

I deleted the song...too cheesy! -Perry-

Comments

• mgfmgf
    edited 7:52AM
    Perry wrote: A real test for me is creating a convincing solo instrument at a very soft dynamic. This song is a bit corny but my wife plays saxes and she thought it was quite believable. It's the SWAM Tenor played with a BC3 & Kurzweil PC3x keyboard. What do you guys think? -Perry-

Perry,

Since I no longer gig live I just use my sequencer (Sonar). I've written custom CAL programs for SM's virtual instruments, as they are the closest, in sound & playability, to the real thing I'm aware of. Also I'm still using the Kontakt versions (My sound card is a 24/96 so the 88 requirement was never a problem).

VELOCITY and BREATH CONTROL (DYNAMICS)

In a MIDI file, the program takes the existing velocity values and converts them to corresponding breath controller (cc2) values. Then I reduce both the velocity & cc2 values until I get the sound that emulates a softly blown tenor sax close to the mic. For example say, a slow legato type ballad, I may take the velocity down to somewhere between 64 & 32 & correspondingly, the cc2 values in the same range but just a little higher than the velocity.

PITCH BEND

The program also adds a wheel (pitch bend) value some 5 ticks ahead of the note-on signal to emulate the action of a live player beginning a note. Of course the values (say, depth & length) must fit the song (The Pink Panther comes to mind).

VIBRATO (cc1 & cc19)

The program writes cc1 & cc19 values. The cc1 values (say, 48 to 64) are placed based on the note duration while the cc19 values are preset to a fixed value (still working on this to make it variable within a preselected range) again emulating a live player.

This may sound like greek to you but I don't know how else to explain my method.

I started out using a BC3a breath controller but now I use the CAL programs as they sound as good & are fast.

PM your email address if you want to pursue this further.

mgf

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.