EWI for key player?

edited June 2013 in Windcontrollers
I'm not a wind player, I just play keys. But it seems to me that I recently saw a Youtube video where the performer played the notes on the keyboard, but used the EWI for expression, etc. Can't seem to find that video today.

This is specifically in reference to use with The Saxaphones in SWAM.

But I wanted to see what opinions might be for someone like me. I used to use a Yamaha BC controller and I know I could use that (have to get that dang midi interface).

But would I gain more in realism by using an EWI controller instead, even though the notes will be played on a keyboard?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited 12:38PM
    If you already have a BC, the main difference with the ewi, in your configuration, is the bite.

It think that the breath control might be a bit more precise on the ewi as well, but not sure on that one.

I personaly use the ewi as a breath controller, and IMO the bite to do vibratos is a really nice touch, far more realistic than the vibrato on the modwheel (with speed controlled on another cc, can't remember which one).

You'll also have the pitch bend plates, which are a nice touch as well.

But of course, it's still quite expensive, since your using a whole midi instrument as a "CCexclusive" controller.
    Thanks. Great info.

Is the USB model sufficient?
    Yep. I think the only differences, besides one being usb, and the other, midi, is the fact that the ewi usb is cheaper, has only 4 octave rollers, and no portamento switch (which is useless anyway for a keyboard player)
    Great. The input is much appreciated!
    LHall wrote: I'm not a wind player, I just play keys. But it seems to me that I recently saw a Youtube video where the performer played the notes on the keyboard, but used the EWI for expression, etc. Can't seem to find that video today.

This is specifically in reference to use with The Saxaphones in SWAM.

But I wanted to see what opinions might be for someone like me. I used to use a Yamaha BC controller and I know I could use that (have to get that dang midi interface).

Thanks!

Why don't you look into this new BC controller which may be far better for you than using an EWI, if for no other reason than either having to hand hold the EWI or having to rig some sort of holder to free up both hands.

http://www.samplemodeling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=753

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.