System ID for registration

edited January 2013 in General Questions
this weekend I made a parallel installation of Windows 8 on my music PC, dual booting the old W7 and the new W8.

In W8, I get a different System ID, and therefore cannot register the SWAM instruments. I have to boot into the W7 installation to play them.

Wouldn't it be better to use a machine ID (MAC Address) instead of this System ID? Then we would be able to unlock our SWAM instruments in case of a HD failure or a new OS installation.

Comments

• edited 11:56AM
    Phil999 wrote: I have to boot into the W7 installation to play them.
    I did that today, but to my horror all SWAM instruments said: NOT LICENSED!

It looks like as if the parallel installation of W8 changed the System ID of W7.

I'll have to investigate this further to be really sure, but for the moment it is no more possible to play the clarinets and the soprano sax 1.04 on my main DAW!

On top of it, the power supply for my EWI died as well today! Now I can't even play on my hackintosh where all instruments are running fine. This is not my lucky day! ;)

The good news is, Emanuele from Samplemodeling said that registering SWAM instruments on a dual boot system should be no problem. Both OS's should have the same System ID.

Therefore, a warning: installing W8 may change your computer's System ID!
    another thought which crossed my mind: I will need to install a faster CPU on my computer in the music room (not the one in my home studio), because there is an analogue synth emulation called Diva which is very demanding in processor power.

Can a new CPU change the System ID?
    Yes, changing the CPU will normally change the System-ID.

This is not a problem: just write to info@swamengine.com or through the contact form on the swamengine.com site http://www.swamengine.com/contact/ asking for the deactivation of the license key.

We will free-up the license key so you can use again it on the same upgraded system or onto another system.

Kind Regards

Emanuele

Samplemodeling/SWAM
    thank you very much for the answer. Both my problems can be resolved this way.

Will do that when I get the occasion (I'm on the road in the next weeks).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.