Tuba sound error on specific velocity

edited October 2012 in General Questions
Hi there,

I uploaded a file to my space. (Attach do not work in this forum!?):

http://www.tagirijus.de/stuff/sfx/tuba-click.mp3

http://www.tagirijus.de/stuff/sfx/tuba-click.mid

(unfortunately the mod cc / dynamic was not exported ... just turn it fully up)

As you can hear it's a little tuba line. Unfortunately the tuba makes a click noise on the velociy level at around 75%, which is around 95 out of the 127 velocity layer-possibilities I think (modulation/dynamic is turned up!). Lower dynamics are okay, but still a bit weird on high velocities. I think that this beahviour is not right, since I think that a tuba never should create synthetic clicksounds. ;) Will there be a fix in the future? The earlier the better, since I am using the product for a very big and improtant project at the moment.

Thank you for your reply!

Ps:

Versions:

French Horn & Tuba v 1.03

FL Studio 10

Kontakt 4.2.4.5316

Manu

Comments

• edited 7:58PM
    did you try with Kontakt 5?
    I do not own Kontakt 5 and I do not want to switch to the K5 Player only for this little click-error-sound purpose. :(
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Tagirijus,

even if you use a very high velocity as in your example(tuba plays more "heavily", with a longer, less steep attack, so maybe less velocity would sound more realistic), the instrument should sound without that kind of spikes. Indeed, they do not occur on my system (Kontakt 4.2.4; an audio file will follow).

By the way - we would never release an instrument which is clicking... :-)

Something is wrong with your audio chain... The only remedy I could think of is to check a different buffer setting.

Peter
    Peter Siedlaczek wrote:
    even if you use a very high velocity as in your example(tuba plays more "heavily", with a longer, less steep attack, so maybe less velocity would sound more realistic), the instrument should sound without that kind of spikes.
    The velocity should not be that high. It has to be exact on 95 or around (it's 75% in my sequencer). On this velocity level the clicks occur with high dynamic (breath / mod controller fully up). Not velocity full up!! Just the modulation dynamic. On highest velocity everything is "okay" again.

Peter Siedlaczek wrote:
    By the way - we would never release an instrument which is clicking... :-)
    :-)

Peter Siedlaczek wrote:
    Something is wrong with your audio chain... The only remedy I could think of is to check a different buffer setting.
    Actually I am on around 12-15 ms I think ... not sure at the moment. Can't check right now, because I am not on my system at the moment, sorry.

Edit:

By the way. I am no engineer for Kontakt, but for my ears it does not sound like buffer-click errors.

/Edit

But again: velocity like in the midi file, just the modulation (controller #2 for the default modulation I think has to be full up to hear the effect. :)

Thanks for your reply though!
  • Sorry I kept you waiting for the audio file - we had some issues with the second server. Here is the link:

http://www.sample-modeling.com/Shared_Folder/Various/Tuba_test_sequence.wav

As you can hear there are no clicks like in your file. Maybe Native Instruments can help - it is possibly a Kontakt issue.

The velocity should not be that high.

How high?.. :-) I used the velocity you used in your mid file. Of course I did not use the maximum velocity. Still, the velocity in your file seemed to be rather high (if we assume that a "medium" velocity is about 85).

In other words: what you hear in the wav file is exactly "your" MIDI data.

I am no engineer for Kontakt, but for my ears it does not sound like buffer-click errors.

There is no particular "sound" of buffer problems. These problems can be unpredictable. But if it´s indeed around 15 ms, the buffer size setting seems to be the right one.

just the modulation (controller #2 for the default modulation I think has to be full up to hear the effect.

This is not quite clear to me... What "modulation"? If you mean CC2, this is the dynamics, i.e. expression control... Yes, the dynamics was set to 127, as you requested.

Sorry, but as long as we cannot reproduce the problem, we cannot track it... Maybe you find some more relevant information about your settings.

By the way - this is a particular technical issue which does not concern other users, so it´s better to contact us via the Contact page, or to get in touch with the technical support, which is provided by Native Instruments.

All the best

Peter
    Thank you very much Peter. I will listen to your file tomorrow and will contact NI, too. Hopefully we'll find the "error".

Ps: I think your reply was fast enough. No reason to apologize. ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.