Newbie question !

edited June 2012 in General Questions
Hi all,

I just bought The Trumpet and The Trombone. I first would like to say I'm really amazed by how expressive those instruments can be when controlled by an EWI (USB). Simply put, they are the most versatile and convincing virtual brass I have ever used :)

But I still have to master the beast... and the EWI itself.

So here my question. As an oboe player, I'm used to play vibrato by directly modulating the air pressure with my breath. When playing The Trumpet and The Trombone with an EWI, does that technique produce the same sound as using the VST's own vibrato parameter ?

Michaël

Comments

• edited 5:07AM
    mikhail,

thank you for your appreciating words.

does that technique produce the same sound as using the VST's own vibrato parameter ?

The "anatomy" of the vibrato obtained by varying the intensity is similar to that one controlled by the ModWheel (CC1). However, the depth of the pitch modulation is actually not sufficient, so some additional pitch vibrato should be played. Skillful Wind Controller experts can certainly explain how to do it :-)

Enjoy your EWI!

Peter
  • edited 5:07AM
    as a not very skillfull EWI (4000s) player I find that breath variation is the best way for vibrato. It comes naturally and sounds quite realistic. The only disadvantage is that long vibratos aren't easy (for me they're impossible, and I simply play short vibratos only). Sometimes the bend plates can be used, and of course the mouthpiece (which I never use for vibrato).

I also say: enjoy your EWI. A perfect controller for Samplemodeling instruments.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.