How to get the Big Band sound?

I'm working on some big band-arrangements and thought that I'd need to get another library besides the Samplemodeling instruments to get the appropriate sound.

After checking out some demo-tracks, I've realised that the Sample-modeling instruments can be perfectly used to get this massive ensemble-sound I'm looking for. Yet, I'm not sure how to get this sound.

Are there midi-files for the big band-demos that I could study? Or would someone be so kind as to share some tips & tricks?

Would there be any advantage in combining the Chris Hein Horns Compact with the Sample-Modeling instruments to get this sound?

Thanks for any information.

Comments

• edited 11:25AM
    in theory everything is there with Samplemodeling instruments. But as you know, one person cannot replace a band of trained musicians.

I find the results from overdubbing manually played tracks very good, it gives some kind of brass section feeling. But it is hard work and takes a lot of time to finish.
    Thanks for your reply, Phil.

Yes, I agree that it takes a lot of hard work. I'm just wondering if there are any tips to get started.
    to create sections I usually record for each voice several MIDI tracks live with a wind-controller. The already recorded tracks are muted, so I only hear what I'm currently recording. So it's not exactly overdubbing.

Having created this variety of MIDI tracks, it gives lots of possibilities. I really enjoy that stage. The results are very rewarding.

But there are other methods, like using only one MIDI source and varying with different instruments and IR's. That may also lead to good results, but I admit I've never done that.

Not sure if this helps, it's nothing new or special.
    Thanks, Phil. I agree with your suggestion to "overdub" the single lines. This seems to be to most natural approach.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.