Trumpet notes cut off.

edited May 2011 in General Questions
Hi

I've noticed if I hold a trumpet note on for about 10 seconds it just stops. This is embarrassing on a gig when you play a phrase and the note just dies on you. I've noticed it on other voices too occasionally.

Is it something on my set up or is this a common problem?

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Alistair

Comments

• edited 9:02AM
    this is normal, a real trumpet player cannot play a note forever. In the digital world, such a VSTi behavior is unusual, but as this one mimics a real-world instrument, it makes sense. You need to compose/play for a real instrument.

Even for the Mellotron there is a sample library that uses the original tape length, after 4 seconds or so the sound goes off. One has to play it like the original, there are no loops.
    Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying a real trumpet player can never hold a note for more than 10 seconds? I think I know many players who would disagree.

Surely if this is the case with SM trumpet software it is extremely limiting. It's very easy to have 2 1/2 bars at crotchet =60 when you need to sustain one note.

I'm hoping it's something wrong with my set up and not a limitation with the software.
    I think it is a limitation of the software.
    Hi,

I have the same problem :

sure a trumpet player stay "on" more than 10 seconds !!!

(just listen to jazz records !!!).

sure it's a limitation of the software due to the sample lenght and weight : it's written somewhere on the forum ...

(to be compatible with the most computer of users).

Anyway, you can change your phrasing to avoid this problem ...

Best,

Yvan
    aparnell wrote: Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying a real trumpet player can never hold a note for more than 10 seconds? I think I know many players who would disagree.

Surely if this is the case with SM trumpet software it is extremely limiting. It's very easy to have 2 1/2 bars at crotchet =60 when you need to sustain one note.

I'm hoping it's something wrong with my set up and not a limitation with the software.

Take a million songs with trumpets including a note of more than 10 seconds long in the score.

Take a million trumpet players and apart those who are able to play a note for more than 10 seconds. Now apart those who can play in the full note range of the instrument.

Compare all the trumpet libraries on the market and point out the more expressive and accurate approach to the real thing, even playing in real time.

Please take it with humor: is really "The Trumpet" extremily limiting?

Man, you have in your hands the best, smart, and fun to play Trumpet ever coded! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jamez123123#p/u/7/MTOXvkqjlUo
    Well, I am no trumpet player ( part of the reason I purchased The Trumpet in the first place ), however I do own a real trumpet and even with my sloppy first grade skills managed to play a single note for 25 seconds+. I have also seen professionals circular breath and this potentially extends the length of a note to, I guess, as long as you or the audience can stay awake! To date I have never found this limitation to be a problem however I can see how irritating/embarrassing this could be especially in a live environment. Perhaps sample modeling could add an option to choose looped/unlooped samples?

Anyway, as a less than ideal work around, a quick blur away to another note will start the note at the beginning again. Keep an eye on the clock though! ;)

Ash.
    Dear Friends,

yes, The Trumpet uses the unified sample length of 10 seconds. Let us refer first to the maximum playable length in the "real world": more then 10 seconds? Of course - if the intensity (dynamics) is not too high! :-) Or can somebody play a very low pitch at maximum fortissimo 10 seconds long? No way. Our Trumpet, however, will... :-)

As you know we are using a unique technology morphing seamlessly between pp and ff, what, among others, make our instruments so realistic. Since the player may wish to morph to ff at any time, the length of the samples is dictated by the playable length of the shortest ff sample... Otherwise you cannot play any crescendo, for example, from pp to ff after 15 seconds, because the ff sample ended already many seconds earlier! :-)

Plain loops, on the other hand, have major drawbacks - like static, repetitive sound, for example - and are also not suitable for the harmonic alignment technology.

So at the moment, while playing our trumpets or trombones, notes above 10 seconds should be performed by repeating them one or more times - i.e. exactly like a real player does at higher dynamics.

Peter & Giorgio
    Thanks for the reply.

Blancanegra, you are right I should not have said 'limiting'. The Trumpet is fantastic.

The sample length is not often a problem to be honest but occasionally I seem to get random cut offs even during a phrase of changing notes. Almost as if the EWI (should have made this clear) is sometimes sending a note off command when I don't want it to.

Peter thanks for your time on this. Do I understand that the dynamic shape of the phrase can make a difference? Perhaps the continuous dynamic controller messages from the EWI can cause the problem?

Could it be due to the dynamic shape of a phrase or again does anyone have any tips for the EWI settings to avoid the cut off notes?

Many thanks.
    Aparnell,

it seems that you have a problem with your EWI indeed. Phrasing or dynamic shaping have no influence on the note length. The rule is simple:

Regardless what did you play before - after each note-on (also in a legato-series), each note lasts 10 seconds (if you keep the key depressed of course). This is really long... :-)

If a new note ends earlier than that, I would suggest to make an EWI test: please record a sequence and play till the problem occurs. Then open the MIDI track and have a look... Maybe EWI sends some note-off or a new legato note-on which is very short? If in doubt, please send us the file using the contact page.

Best regards

Peter
    I never had problems with unexpected note off with the EWI4000s. But I'm an amateur player, I'm sure a good player will come closer to the limits. I mostly create simple trumpet/trombone/sax sections. They sound phantastic and real, much better than my actual skills. :)

OT: Recently I had the occasion to play with a real tenor saxophone. It sounded terrible. After some hours of desperately trying to play some notes, I got back to my EWI. :D But I'll try again! Besides, there was a player there that was doing quite well with the sax, and playing together was a nice experience. The real and artificial saxes matched very well together. It sounded like two real saxophones.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.