Transpose for the WX5

edited April 2011 in Windcontrollers
I just got The Trumpet for use with my WX5, which sends note messages an octave lower than makes sense for most instruments, no matter what synth I'm using. Sure enough, to get the normal register with the Trumpet I have to use the first octave-up key. If I set either the Tune knob or the MIDI transpose to +12, the transpose happens but I lose all of the lower octave, that is it acts as if I am playing out of the lower key range. Does this happen to anyone else, and if so how can it be fixed? I know I can use the non-persistent octave function on the WX5, but I'd like it to be set permanently in the software.

Dick

Comments

• edited 12:34PM
    Hi,

Did you try to use the integrated transposer of the trumpet ? you should fix your trouble by this way ...

Regards,
    Yes, as noted in my original post neither the internal tuning nor the midi transpose work as expected. According to Peter Siedlaczek in separate correspondence, the transpose function for The Trumpet was intentionally not allowed in the low octave to prevent interference with the keyswitches. I was able to get the desired transposition by using Kontakt as a VST with a transpose FX plugin in front of it.

Dick
    Hi,

It seems curious ...

If you can't do it in stand alone mode, you could try to use a "lite" vst host like "chainer" or "console" ...

For the live sessions, i use "console" ... simply because it have an auto-load "default" configuration file and it's very convenient, cos if you put this file into the "start" folder, it run automaticaly when you turn on your computer. (i only bring the central unit on stage ...)

In console, you could chain Kontact to your transpose vst plug, add your vst reverb ... and with a multi out sound card, you can affect dry sound to out 1, reverb to out 2, other effect to out 3 ....

As i use both the sax and the trumpet, it's helpfull ... dry sax to out 1, dry trumpet to out 2, reverb 1 to out 3, reverb 2 to out 4 ... and so ...

I use one extra key of the ewi to "cross-mute" between the sax and the trumpet by the midi command of the volume, the other extra key of the ewi to put the harmon mute on the trumpet ...

Yvan
    Yvan,

I'm not familiar with "console", but what you are doing with it seems very similar to what I do with Reaper. As I mentioned in the previous post, I solved the transpose problem by using the Trumpet as a VST. I use Reaper as the VST host. It also has the advantage of saving all VST settings, and there are hundreds of available FX plugins such as the midi transpose that I now use with the Trumpet. For example, I can load a number of Kontakt instances, each with a different instrument or mute, as well as instances of other virtual instruments such as WIVI. Using Reaper's "actions" I can set up a function key, for example, to quickly select any of the instances. I find Reaper to be a good VST host and it has a lot more power than that when needed.

Thanks for your input,

Dick
    It would be nice to get a clear answer in public on this issue.

Surely a proper midi transpose would do what it says? Transpose the incoming midi message.

When I press a note on my instrument, it is simply a switch that sends a pitch depending on how my instrument is set, why doesn't the midi transpose in Kontakt (or when using sample modeling) transpose the incoming pitch correctly the same as when I do it on my instrument? What key is pressed shold be immaterial to the software after the fact of the transposition!!

I have devised a way (using hardwired octave keys) for one handed playing for children with limited movement, however, although I can, do it to some degree, the irratic behaviour of the sample modeling/kontakt transpose function stops me offering it for usage.

I turned all notes above C# 3 off in the key of C and in another instance of Mr T turnd all notes below D off and transposed that instance by -5 semitones.

The above worked perfectly, with the use of an octave key switch (set on a trill bar) I got a full octave on one hand, however, I tried to expand this simple method for more octaves and Mr T acts crazy/illogical, ie giving some notes in one octave others 2 octaves higher and some an octave lower, depending on different attempts.

I could do this with remapping, but this costs resources and confusion, when it should and has been a standard feature of almost all hard/software fror decades?

Regards Pete.

P.s I don't expect midi transpose to expand the range or move the key switches to different positions, just that midi transpose does what it is supposed to do, transpose the incoming midi messages. Which means I use different keys to make the range of Mr T the Trupet etc without losing chunks of my purchase.
    Hi!

When programming The Trumpet, we decided that the range and position of the Keyswitches (KS) should remain untouched even if one transposes the instrument. The purpose of each keyswitch, and their combinations, is precisely described in the KS table and in the Manuals. Allowing transposition of the KS would invalidate the table and confuse many users. We are actually talking about "transposition" - i.e. about the assignment "KEY -> NOTE", and not about changing the tune/pitch of the samples.

An additional argument in favour of the above choice was the following: nearly all the MIDI devices offer a transposition feature, where one can "move" the range of the instrument to the convenient position and store the preferred setting. In this case, the KS would be shifted as well, but this would be a choice of a conscious user, aware of the necessity of remapping their function.

One of the very few devices which, as it seems, cannot store the transposition setting is the Yamaha Windcotroller (WX), which is a really dated piece of hardware... Yet, all the WX users I know are using the transposition features within their host application. In essence, there are several ways to transpose without using Kontakt transposition.

Our users may share a different opinion about that... Please let us know. Do we actually need an additional transpose functionality within the instrument? If so - it would affect the Keyswitches. In this case, there would be two independent sources of transposition: the setting on the MIDI device (like keyboard) and the (stored) setting within Kontakt - another potential source of confusion.

We would appreciate it if you could share with us your opinion about that.

By the way - the above concerns The Trumpet and Trombone only, since only they are using the Keyswitches. The Sax family uses its own transposition control (a transposition control on the instrument GUI), which works flowlessly in any direction up to 12 semitones. Of course a MIDI transposition set at the source side can go beyond that (Mr. sax T. shows no malfunctions on our systems).

Thank you for your attention! :-)

Peter & Giorgio
    Thanks for the detailed answer :) .

I suppose I forget that the Yamaha's are very old instruments, so I take your point, any changes that would affect other parametres would be unwise for instruments that can get resolutions in other ways.

By the way in all other ways the samplemodeling instruments are so good any other synth hard or soft just won't do it for me :D

Regards Pete.

P.s. The Mr T problem is that the transpose only goes to -12 +12, I suppose I want more because I am doing something outside the normal. I'll look for another solution.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.