Macbook or not macbook ?? That's my question

edited April 2011 in General Questions
hello everyone ! i'm a sax B user. Actually, i play with a ASUS G71, An EWI USB, a EMU 0202 audio card.

This card didn't give me satisfaction. Too much crack or crash sound. So, I decided to buy a MOTU audio hybrid interface (ultralite). Actually, i'm waiting on it.

I'm thinking about taking (or not) a macbook (pro or not) 13'.

Some musicians and friends relate me some problems they encountered to get good result with a macbook.

My questions are simple :

Who use actually a macbook with a SM product, no matter what kind of product it is ?

What can you tell me about the result of using that laptop ?

Do you like it or not and shortly why ?

Eventually your setting to have good result. I hope having some comments.

Thanks guys in advance

Comments

• edited 11:57AM
    zenasium wrote: Actually, i play with a ASUS G71, An EWI USB, a EMU 0202 audio card.
    this rig should work very well with SM instruments. EMU drivers are said to be rather good, and the laptop has enough CPU power.

Maybe it's just the buffer settings. Recently I reinstalled my DAW, and there was a lot of crackles. The reason was that the driver was set to 64 samples by default. Setting this to 256 samples solved the problem (in Win7 there is also a USB setting in the Power Options that should be deactivated when using USB audio cards).

Of course a Macbook will be good as well.
  • edited 11:57AM
    Thanks for your answer Phil999

In fact, i get my Ultralite yesterday, try with my G71 and it works better. I first try with The USB cable i daily use, and it scratch and give bad issue with kontakt. I'm really a idiot... The USB cable didn't work properly !!!

After swapping the cable and take the original USB from MOTU package, there was no more problems to hear.

The Motu run and sounds great comparing to the EMU (it's my feeling :) )

This afternoon, i will try it through the FW cable.

So, the initial question about the macbook stand open. It will be more a comfort choice, because the weight, the more discrete dimension and autonomy giving by Apple solution. At least, my reflexion stand open, with more time to make a decision. ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.