Trombone sections

Hello! :)

Got a little problem when doing trombone parts that aren't meant to stand out, and are just meant to be part of a brass section in a track, I'm currently working on a project which has about 4 trombone parts in most of the tracks, and when I do each trombone part, playing it back with articulation, and expression all drawn in, it sounds 'robotic' causing it to sound fake.

Which is really annoying because when I play the trombone as a solo part, where its meant to stand out, it sounds great! Just these quiet parts, I'm applying the exact same techniques and it sounds fake :( - It MUST be something I'm doing wrong.

Also, I'm having a little trouble getting 6 Semitone trombone slides to sound real, but I know it can be done because I've heard people's demos... so would love to know how to get that sounding realistic. I've tried many things, from doing the pitch bend manually to drawing it in, and moving the expression in a suitable manner, but no joy :(

This has nothing to do with samplemodeling! This is something I'm doing wrong, and would love to be pointed in the right direction by anyone.

Thanks a lot!

James :D

Comments

• edited 9:36AM
    do the sections sound boring because all notes are quantized, or is it the lack of live-like articulation?
  • That's what I don't understand, none of the notes are quantized, and I spend a lot of time on each trombone, giving it nice articulations and expression, but then when I un-solo them and bring them all together it sounds fake, but they're fine on there own! :shock:
    Maybe you could post a brief example of your music, perhaps 20sec as a mixdown, and then the same 20sec one of the trombones solo'd
    You might try using all three T Bones including the valve trombone... Also panning them like a real section. You might use a lower "dynamic" for the lower parts, when you really crank up the dynamics on the SM trombone, you really get a lot of character and four of these characters are maybe too many...so backing down the dynamics will help.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions people!

After using the trombone for quite a while now, and managing to get good section sounds... I've found out the 'problem' to why I couldn't get a realistic section sound.

This is the issue I'm having

http://www.samplemodeling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=493

and still having :( so basically, this was the unpleasant sound that is causing my sections to sound bad, the 'attack' almost cuts in. So as soon as you leave one of the selected trombone/trumpet tracks, and start working on other instruments the problem kicks in, which is what was/is causing my sections to sound bad.

Any suggestions :) ?

Thanks!

James
    I guess unless SM or will release a bugfix the solution would be to bounce / freeze each track individually and continue working with the audiofiles.
    You may be getting what is often called "the organ effect". Try eq'ing individually or as a section. See if that helps...

Mick

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.