The Trombone - No Chance for G5 users?

edited June 2010 in General Questions
Hi everybody.

I‘ve been eagerly awaiting the trombone release since ever it was anounced, but sadly now I have to learn, that I'm not able to benefit from this surely great instrument, as it uses the Kontakt4, which NI developed only for Intel-based machines.

I'm running the trumpet on a G5 Quad and having no performance problems running several instances. As I am not too much interested in live-playing, I can make use of freezing tracks - no need to upgrade my computer up to now.

So, is there a chance, to install the trombone on a G5 as well? Does it make use of some advanced scripting features of the K4 which cannot be done in older versions of the Kontakt player, or would it be possible to release a version for K3?

... trying not to give up hope yet...

Jan

Comments

• edited 8:36AM
    Nobody can give an answer?

Samplemodeling Team?
    MassMover,

the best and quickest contact to us (samplemodeling) is via our contact page... :-)

Sorry I do not have any good news for you... The use of Kontakt 4 is not a result of some more complex scripting within our instruments, or our own choice, but the result of the development on the Native Instruments side.

Native Instruments improves their Kontakt Sampler/Player very fast, and since we are using their software (on the license basis) for our instruments, we must follow their way. Kontakt 4 is an important step in their development, because it´s the first machine supporting 64 bit systems. This is simply the price of the progress.... So, regardless whether we want or not, we must develop our products on the actually supported platform, which is Kontakt 4 (on the instrument developers´side NI does not support earlier versions any more!).

For the above reasons we had to develop The Trombone on Kontakt 4; the consequence: the nki files cannot be opened in any earlier version.

But I hope you will upgrade to the Intel Mac sooner or later... :-)

With best wishes

Peter
    Aha, thanks for your reply. :cry:

So I understand, that - even if you could do a K3 Version - you hav to send your code to NI who will do the compiling, and they actually do it only for their K4, even if they could do otherwise ...

How frustrating. I was really looking forward to the instrument’s release. Just the other day I talked to G.B. who played the tenor bone for "The Trombone"s recording session - he told me about the detailed accuracy in the studio, and how his scepticism more and more turned into surprise during recording, especially when he heard the first demos.

So, I hope, somebody will find a way to run K4 on official unsupported machines, just as Logic 9 does install on a g5 as well, otherwise the trombone will have to wait for me at least another year.

Pity, I was eager to se how the trombone will behave in a bigband section setup; I'm quite happy with what is feasible with the trumpet (I will post a short demo soon) and I'm sure the t-bone would fit in there fine as well.

Cheers, Jan
    just a thought - what about getting a Macbook to play the Trombone? I mean, pragmatically thinking, you only need a platform to run K4 and a MIDI/audio interface.

Except the trumpet I can play all Samplemodeling instruments on a $300 netbook in real-time, and I use this netbook not only for sessions on travel, but also in the studio.

With an 'outsourced' additional mini-DAW you could keep your trusted G5 setup for some more years.
    This is indeed worth consideration...

I remember when my working machine was a b/w G3 at 350 MHz and I was using a Powerbook G4 Titanium at 800 MHz as mobile device - in the end I did some projects entirely on the Powerbook - with the additional advantage of dual monitor use.

But now I am in the lucky position that the school I‘m working at is using Macs with almost the same software I use at home (mainly logic), so I haven‘t felt the need of a mobile device for some years now. In fact, for some stuff as preparing music in finale, writing worksheets, or even arranging with Logic's onboard instruments I still use the old Powerbook without major problems, when I'm not at home.

But I will give it a think, thanks for the hint, Phil
    Hi

sry to hear about your issue with the G5. My G5 died last summer after 6 years (CPU or the mother board or both) I now have a MacPro quad and the difference is huge in terms of being able to run many more instruments without freezing too many tracks. I still only have 3 gigs of Ram which I need to upgrade at some point but it is amazing what I can do at present. On my G5, I could barely get a couple of heavy virtual instruments playing at one time if that. And the trombone is pretty cool!

Cheers,

Del

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.