Whats the range of the bones?

edited May 2010 in General Questions
Hi, interested in the bones, but what will the range be? Hopefully a little extra than on the trumpets. I'm always a couple of notes short either at the lower or upper end.

Regards pete.

Comments

• edited 9:36AM
    Hello Pete

According to the philosophia of samplemodeling's team (to recreate a real instrument), i guess that the range will be like the original (not less, not more)

Valouz
    valouz wrote: Hello Pete

According to the philosophia of samplemodeling's team (to recreate a real instrument), i guess that the range will be like the original (not less, not more)

Valouz

Thanks, but it would be nice if the samplemodeling team answered, as they will know.

Regards Pete.
    Of course :)

I wrote this because it's not the first time i read this question for some other samplemodeling product and the answer was always the same.

So i only expose what i believe.

Now, i can be wrong...

Regards
    valouz wrote: Of course :)

I wrote this because it's not the first time i read this question for some other samplemodeling product and the answer was always the same.

So i only expose what i believe.

Now, i can be wrong...

Regards

The saxes have a much higher range than the trumpets, so the philosphia only applies to 50% of the products

Problem is when deciding the range of an instrument do you choose the normal range or the range that experienced players can coax out of an instrument, if its the former then samplemodeling has limitations the "real instrument" does not have.

The team have the right to offer any range, and customers can decide whether it is enough or not, but as a potential customer I should be able to get a clear answer prior to purchase.

Regards Pete.
  • Hi Pete,

I will refer the ranges to the Yamaha standard which we are using, which is C3 for the middle C (the 60th note in the MIDI standard). Our tenor trombones will play from E1 to as high as F4 (playable only by top professionals).

There will be also the bass trombone, playing from Bb-1 (1.5 octave lower than the "normal" tenor trombone!) to Bb3.

We do not, indeed, exceed the standard range of the instruments. There are two important reasons:

1. We use real samples, not synthetic or artificially transposed waveforms. Notes below the lowest ones are unplayable simply because of the physics of the instrument;

2. Except special effects, the lowest notes of a wind instrument do not belong to its best, most powerful and "phonogenic" range, anyway.

In other words: you need a Trumpet playing well sounding notes below Bb2? Take a trombone... :-)

Problem is when deciding the range of an instrument do you choose the normal range or the range that experienced players can coax out of an instrument

Not sure if I understand clearly, but I can ensure you that we are sampling the instruments played by absolute professionals - i.e. playing the maximum range. Our Trumpet, for example, reaches G5. Even if there are some world champions trying to play even higher, this pitch is considered to belong to the highest notes playable on a Bb trumpet. And: similarly to any other instruments, there are physical limits. The lowest playable note on a Bb trumpet is E2 - it´s the fundemental frequency of the trumpet tube "switched" to its maximal length. Nobody can play below it.

Our trumpet plays down to E2 as well.

Regards

Peter
    Thanks for clarifying the range.

Regards Pete.
    pgill wrote: Thanks for clarifying the range.

Regards Pete.

Hi Peter, to save confusion (I mixed up the saxes :oops:) I deleted my last post.

To make a long story short, 3 extra semi-tones at the low end of the Trombone would be very desirable.

Many windsynth players are sax players and set their controllers between Eb or Bb. Those extra semi-tones would mean the trombone could sound in the normal range of the Alto/Tenor/soprano/etc.

It is disconcerting to have gaps in the normal playing range and although an optional transposition is possible, this means the ear would require retraining.

Just a thought.

Regards Pete.
    The saxes have a much higher range than the trumpets, so the philosphia only applies to 50% of the products

Hi guys:

The determination of the "real" commonly performed high range of a sax (especially the alto and tenor) is somewhat problematic due to the common professional practice of utilizing the altissimo register. This register commonly extends an octave beyond the standard range of the sax and, in hands of some players (think Lenny Pickett of Tower of Power and Saturday Night Live)) goes much higher. On baritone this range is a bit more unwieldy and "un-saxophonic" in tonal quality.

Maybe this helps?

outland
    outland wrote:

The determination of the "real" commonly performed high range of a sax (especially the alto and tenor) is somewhat problematic due to the common professional practice of utilizing the altissimo register.

Of cause you are right, but no harm in trying to squeese a little extra range from the instruments :lol:

At the end of the day the instruments thus far are extraordinary and I will take what I can get. But originally Mr T's range was a lot less than it is presently and that extra range has given me a lot of pleasure :D .

Regards Pete.
    pgill wrote: outland wrote:

The determination of the "real" commonly performed high range of a sax (especially the alto and tenor) is somewhat problematic due to the common professional practice of utilizing the altissimo register.

Of cause you are right, but no harm in trying to squeese a little extra range from the instruments :lol:

At the end of the day the instruments thus far are extraordinary and I will take what I can get. But originally Mr T's range was a lot less than it is presently and that extra range has given me a lot of pleasure :D .

Regards Pete.

You right, squeezing never hurts :D

The saxes are the most realistic emulation I've ever heard. Unless I knew I was listening to an emulation, I'd never suspect it. I will eventually pick up the Baritone, but will probably not get the soprano, alto, or tenor (I play those). What I really need is the Trombone. Dan Rad's very nice little demos were great! Again, by far and away the best emulations I've heard of a trombone. Nothing's in the ballpark with it. It is so good to see Sample Modeling nailing all these instruments.

outland

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.