Will Kontakt 4 require new builds of SM instruments?

edited October 2009 in General Questions
It must be no fun at all to deal with the updates at Native Instruments! :?

Comments

• Will Kontakt 4 require new builds of SM instruments?

Hopefully not, Perry, thanks for the empathy :)

Giorgio
  • edited 1:02PM
    just read about Kontakt 4:

AET is able to capture specific spectral characteristics of samples and gradually apply them to another samples in real-time, allowing you to seamlessly “morph” between different instruments' characteristics. This breakthrough allows for a new level in expression and realism when playing a sampled instrument.

This sounds familiar. Is it possible that NI has copied the sample-modeling technique? I was thinking about such things when I realized the superiority of Samplemodeling over standard sample playback. That other companies will work on their own sample-morphing software or use the original Samplemodeling technology under license.

This technology is a huge shift, and not only for users of exotic controllers, also for keyboard players. It is only a question of time until this will be implemented in many applications (e.g. in sample-based voice reproduction).

I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, I am very glad that sound sampling has evolved from simple DD's to pitch shift and velocity sensitivity, then multisample and multilayer libraries, to Samplemodeling. On the other hand I was glad that Samplemodeling (the company) are the only ones in the world who can offer this new breed of technology.

Well, times are changing. I wish the Samplemodeling team all the best in this new paradigm. I have no doubt that their scripts will always be slightly cleverer than the ones from other companies. :)
  • I wish the Samplemodeling team all the best in this new paradigm. I have no doubt that their scripts will always be slightly cleverer than the ones from other companies. :)
    Thanks so very much Phil for your appreciation and support. :)

just read about Kontakt 4:

AET is able to capture specific spectral characteristics of samples and gradually apply them to another samples in real-time, allowing you to seamlessly “morph” between different instruments' characteristics. This breakthrough allows for a new level in expression and realism when playing a sampled instrument.

This sounds familiar. Is it possible that NI has copied the sample-modeling technique?
    No, they didn't. Our approach is something very different than applying a FFT filter to a sample during playback. Just to give you an example, crossfading among harmonic-aligned samples basically does the job of several concurrent time-varying convolutions, each loaded with the appropriate time-varying FFT coefficients for that particular note. Something not conceivable with the current technology.

Harmonic Alignment carries out this task in a very efficient fashion.

And, Harmonic Alignment (and Synchronous Wave Triggering) are just the bottom layer. There's a lot more. :mrgreen:

Best,

Giorgio
    glad to hear that. I knew that the Italians do it better. :D
  • Except in politics :(

Giorgio
    Well, here in the US all we hear about Italian politics is that a wealthy, powerful Italian man likes being around beautiful women. This is what passes for news. ;-)
  • This, except for "wealthy and powerful", might apply to yours truly. :)

Facts are very different. An outlaw, with complete media control, and an embarrassing, to say the least, court of yesmen, and oh yes, yes women :roll: , named ministers of the Republic for improbable abilities, has got the power, and is going to keep it for years to come. No democracy is possible without free information. Mind you as well. 8-)

Back to our instruments :)

Giorgio
    Well, don't worry Giorgio, organized crime owns the government and the media here in the US also.

But, having just returned from Roma, there is certainly no shortage of beautiful women. ;-)
    Kontakt4 is out now, but the AET (Authentic Expression Technology) examples that are demonstrated at the NI webpage are not very convincing. I ordered K4 because I need a full sampler anyway, and maybe it makes some multilayered reed sample libraries (Schalmei, Krummhorn, bagpipes, etc.) more playable with the wind-controller.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.