Any news to share?

edited December 2009 in General Questions
Everything you guys have created is amazing! Is there any news on upcoming instruments?

Comments

• Thanks for your interest Perry. :)

We are actively working on several Trombones 8-) .

Conversely, a Soprano Sax based on SWT technology is unlikely to be released for Kontakt. :|

Best,

Giorgio, Peter & Stefano
  • edited 9:43AM
    Wonderful!

If I had to choose between the two, it would be bones anyway. Much more meat and potatoes use there. Looking forward to playing it!
    A bass trombone would be great! (I hope it's on your list!) Traditional sampling has never really yielded a bass trombone I've been happy with. They can produce such a powerful, dynamic range of volume & timbre. Too bad about the soprano sax....perhaps a dedicated Sample Modeling player will happen at some point. 8-)
    several trombones? Wow, I'm very glad to hear that. Surely will buy them. For the soprano sax, I don't care much, the already existing saxes are enough for me.
    Mr. Sax T can double on soprano anyway, so it's not a problem. :lol: He also makes some wicked eggplant parmesan.
    Trombones thats very cool, then we'll have all the instruments for a proper big band which is 4 Trumpets 4 Trombones,2 Tenors

2 Altos, Baritone and Rhythm section. This was the lineup of all the great bigband music of the late thirties to late forties. Duke Ellington ,Count Basie Ted Heath etc all used this line up and the Trombones will make this emulation complete. Shame about the soprano its a bit of a law unto itself that one with its 'out of tuneness that gives it the character' but a clarinet would be very cool as would a flute but hey think we all got enough to be getting on with...
    There are so many instruments that I would love to have represented by SM. A clarinet would be cool for jazz & orchestral work. Maybe with the pure tone it could be implemented easier than the soprano sax?
    Mr T can sound like a soprano? How do you do that? Would be very cool - disappointed that the soprano was off the radar.
    No , it was a lame joke. I realized after it could be taken seriously, sorry. :oops:
    I agree about the clarinet. It's a very ubiquitous and versatile instrument. Also French Horn is used a lot in my film work, that would be great. I've mentioned it to Giorgio et al and hopefully they will apply their considerable talents to these instruments. In the mean time, I can't wait to clear the spit valve on that Trombone. I hope they do the mutes and bass trombone as well..

DanRad
    sammy24 wrote: No , it was a lame joke. I realized after it could be taken seriously, sorry. :oops:

Mr T can make a good soprano sax, however you have to be more precise with breathing and tonguing. A fast phrase that could sound unnatural at the higher end of Mr T's range can be played to good affect with fast precise tongue and breath.

To answer how to use Mr T or Mr A as a soprano, simply raise an octave. This can be done either at the instrument end or at the samplemoddeling end.

In the Kontakt player select "midi cc remapping" set the transpose button an octave higher.

Regards Pete.
    Yeah, well, that's what i meant, obviously. :lol:
    (whispers from the corner)

"solo strings"

"You have the experience and the rep for them already"

"You've blown us away with the wind instruments, now you can bow us away with the strings"

"The world awaits"

"... but we still want the trombones too"

"... and the duduk"

RIP dear Mrs S :cry:
    Hi,

Mr S was one of the most expected instrument, because it have a perfect response for soloing.

Is there any chance for a change ???

Yvan
    zeppusclub wrote: Hi,

Mr S was one of the most expected instrument, because it have a perfect response for soloing.

Is there any chance for a change ???

Yvan

I agree, I really wanted Mr sax S, more than any other instrument. I can use Mr T but it isn't perfect, not sweet enough and the samples are hard to sound realistic.

Mr T as a soprano is nearly there but not quite. Very teasing :cry:

Regards Pete.
    Mr S was the most expected instrument for me even with higher price !!!
    :D

the day when the last customer is satisfied arrives when every possible and impossible instrument is done by Samplemodeling. I need bagpipes, and no strings, while others need strings and not bagpipes.
    Everybody needs strings and nobody else need bagpipes...

You don't need samplemodeling for this. In fact, you even don't need more than 1 velocity sample for this annoying instrument :D

Seriously, I can't wait for the trombone. I didn't like the sound of saxophones (too 80s for me...) so I skipped the purchase. But I certainly will get me a copy of the Trombone.

But please don't put out a clarinet too soon. In a few months, I want to model a clarinet for myself as my bachelor thesis, but I can't compete with your holy "Harmonic Alignment" technology (AET is somehow a disappointment), so it would be very frustating to work on a subject that is already solved the best possible way...

Greets,

Christoph
    chrisboy2000 wrote: Everybody needs strings and nobody else need bagpipes...

that's true, I'm probably the only one. :) But don't forget that these old reed instruments are the predecessors of our modern clarinets, saxophones, etc. Of course bagpipes, Schalmei, etc. need layered samples like the modern reeds. I agree that they sound nasty, but that's something I like very much. A good piper can create very hypnotic sounds with such an old instrument, while the modern reeds are beautiful and musical, but not so nasty and sharp as the old ones.

For the strings, I don't see an alternative to real string instruments (I played the cello a bit myself). If I use string sounds, I use synthesizers (only analogue) so that the difference is clearly audible. But I know that here too I'm alone in my taste. :lol:

But here's my question: I'm still hesitating to buy Kontakt4 because of its (to my ears) rather weak demo audio files. Is AET really that disappointing? Unusable for expressive playing with windcontrollers?

For the strings, I don't see an alternative to real string instruments (I played the cello a bit myself). If I use string sounds, I use synthesizers (only analogue) so that the difference is clearly audible. But I know that here too I'm alone in my taste.

Up to now, there is nothing like a real string instrument when used solo. Thats why I want to learn playing cello too.

I'm still hesitating to buy Kontakt4 because of its (to my ears) rather weak demo audio files. Is AET really that disappointing? Unusable for expressive playing with windcontrollers?

I did another post in the NI-Forum because I wanted to know if someone else is getting better results. I bought the upgrade mainly because of AET (but the new database tagging feature and the compression rock too), but it isn't as easy as create two groups, assign the mod-wheel to fade and click on "AET". The first results were very discouraging, but I want to dig in deeper, since this could be the only way to get smooth fades instead of "Harmonic Alignment".
    valouz wrote: Mr S was the most expected instrument for me even with higher price !!!

:cry: No doubt about it the soprano is what I dreamed of since I first heard The Trumpet and Mr. Sax T. I can understand of the difficulty in reproducing this instrument realistically, but that's why I beleived SM has the competitive advantage for this product. No one else can produce this as realistically as SM can. I have others and they don't come close. Maybe after the trombones we can give the Soprano another shot. It was the reason I woke up early on Saturday mornings and checked this forum on a regular basis.
    chrisboy2000 wrote:
    Up to now, there is nothing like a real string instrument when used solo. Thats why I want to learn playing cello too.
    beautiful. I lost my cello by theft, and I probably won't be able to buy another one soon. But as I came from electronic music, the cello helped me a lot to learn many things about music. Wish you all the best with your future cello play.

chrisboy2000 wrote:
    I did another post in the NI-Forum because I wanted to know if someone else is getting better results. [...] The first results were very discouraging, but I want to dig in deeper, since this could be the only way to get smooth fades instead of "Harmonic Alignment".
    I visited that forum today (been a member for the FM8), and I think I read your post in the Kontakt section. It appears that AET is, like Mr. Tommasini said, far from 'Harmonic Alignment'. So I decided not to buy Kontakt4, and keep waiting for more Samplemodeling instruments. So it remains true: Italians do it better (except Berlusconi of course). :D

Thank you for the information, much appreciated!
    Obviously no virtual instrument can ever replace a real performance from someone who is a real master at their instrument.

As much as I love samplemodeling and all its achievements it still hasn't replaced a trumpet or sax player for me. No technology will ever do that.

Nevertheless I feel that tools like these are paramount for my composition process and to express to the musicians exactly what I want from them. So any technological advancements are always welcomed for me, as well as any new instrument that Samplemodeling decides to create next. Both mediums will only make by music better.

Of course I would be lying if I didn't think that samplemodeling couldn't produce highly musical and realistic results. It can and it has.

When it comes to strings I certainly don't expect otherwise. I am not expecting that some virtual instrument or sample library comes along and replaces definitely real string players. But having said that, more recent string libraries have enabled users to create some very interesting results depending on the complexity of the piece in question. However when it comes specifically to solo strings the available tools are still very unmusical and uninspiring. Personally it makes writing for strings (string quartets in particular) a very cumbersome task. Samplemodeling seems like the only company that can fix this.

Besides It is not longer speculation, strings, soprano sax and trombone have been confirmed. They will happen. Obviously woodwinds would be next in line.
    you are of course right. What I was trying to say with the strings was that I make some differences among instruments. If there was a 'MIDI bow&string controller' which would give me the expression possibilities of a violoncello, I would certainly long for a SM string instrument as well. Playing realistic string samples with a keyboard somehow doesn't make sense to me; while playing a wind instrument with a wind controller does. Very much actually, I'm again and again thrilled by the trumpet and the saxes, how good they respond to my breath and fingering.

I've seen the video with Mr. Lucato playing the sax with a keyboard. It sounded terrific, but personally I would never do such a thing - I'm a bit old-fashioned maybe.

But this goes back several years, when I got my first sampler (Emu Emax). I used it for metal sounds, voice effects, the piano, harpsicord, etc, but never for wind or string instruments. Exceptions were parts where the trumpet was played like a keyboard, where it was clearly audible that it was not a real instrument.

Music is a form of magic, and I have strict rules about what is allowed and what is not. Like in CG, there are limits, as the audience mostly does not know about all those tricks we have in our sleeves. But this is a rather philosophical question, and I don't want to further bore you guys with my elaborations. :)

I'm very grateful for what we've got from Samplemodeling, and I'm thrilled about what is to come in future.
  • Dear Friends,

We are very happy that our instruments generated much expectation. However, even at the cost of disappointing you, we decided not to produce the Soprano Sax using the Synchronous Wave Triggering technology. This due to intrinsic limitations of Kontakt, which would require, as cleverly guessed by Perry, a sampling rate even higher than 88.2 kHz to preserve the timbral quality of the original samples.

We are therefore working on the development of new technologies allowing to overcome these limitations, at the same time expanding the timbral expressiveness via direct control of the harmonic structure of the sound. :shock:

Our (and your) future is certainly full of sopranos, clarinets, flutes, and much more :)

Thanks,

Stefano, Giorgio & Peter
    I welcome very much this decision.
    I've never been called "clever" by such a respected brain trust! Thanks! :mrgreen:
    Thanks a lot for this good news :)
    Sweet!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.