What's next?

edited August 2008 in General Questions
Sounds Incredible so far!

What is coming next?

Comments

• edited 10:05AM
    Welcome tfishbein82 :)

This will remain a secret, for a little while.

Best,

Giorgio
    Well you can put me down for a copy of whatever it's going to be. :mrgreen:

Especially if it comes out as well as The Trumpet. ;)
    Giorgio Tommasini wrote:
    This will remain a secret, for a little while.

If you guys can do for the sax what you've done here, I will cry like a baby. Seriously, I might accidentally buy two copies in my uncontrolled exuberance...

Maybe alto (my least fav), then tenor, then soprano? Just a suggestion... :)

This trumpet product is what I've been impatiently waiting for over the last few years, since all of the advanced sample and modelling technologies started showing up... I'm thrilled to see that it's as good, or maybe even better, than what I'd hoped for!

I also own the great Wallander products, and look forward to what he'll do with saxes there, but honestly if you employ this sample technology to the impossible sax you will absolutely blow away anything else available (except maybe a top session player, of course :lol: ).
    I'll vote for Clarinet

or sax

or trombone

or all.
    I would vote for saxes first (so far I have never heard a convincing sample library) and then trombones to complete the pop brass section.

In a second step some orchestral woodwinds would be nice (starting with oboe, englishhorn and clarinet)

Just my modest opinion

Regards

Raindog
    Raindog wrote: In a second step some orchestral woodwinds would be nice (starting with oboe, englishhorn and clarinet)

I like how you mentioned Oboe first. However, Wallander got the Clarinets down pretty good. Of course, I think with sample modeling, anything will sound better than Wallander. What is lacking way more is flute and piccolo type instruments, IMO.
    i'm sure for some reason that the next instrument will be a sax. ;)
    Chaim wrote: I'll vote for Clarinet

or sax

or trombone

or all.

Tenor sax gets my vote for next intstrument. I Already play trombone, but it would be interesting to hear that get emulated anywhere as good as The Trumpet. Maybe I won't have to practice trombone any more to play it :shock:

Love The Trumpet synth.

http://skyswim.com/
    ...and

STRINGS! 8-)
    They should do everything, all possible instruments. I need them now. I mean yesterday. Let's go! :twisted: 8-) :D :ugeek:
    That would be sweet.
    I think Strings are a bit tricky to do with modelling, because it's a section.
    Justus wrote: I think Strings are a bit tricky to do with modelling, because it's a section.

Yeah, but not solo strings.
    The demand for realistic saxophones is too obvious to pass and it's easy to assume that a technique that works with trumpet will also work with saxophones. After that I'd vote for trombones. I'm not sure I'd buy horns as I'm rather happy with the Westgate horns but I haven't found a trombone library with enough realistic bite and versatility to suit my needs. This is of course a personal opinion.

After taming saxophones and trombones vocals and strings remain as the areas where only mediocre results have been achieved with sampling. I don't have the sample modeled solo strings from Garritan but judging by the demos The Trumpet seems a lot closer to the real thing than the Gofriller of Stradivarius. That might have a lot to do with the recordings rather than sample modeling.

Could it be possible to do solo vocals with atleast vowel morphing and realistic legato? That would be cool even if it's far from doing opera arias or pop songs with virtual instruments.

Another interesting thing would be doing a string or vocal section from sample modeled soloists. I know it doesn't work with samples but with sample modeling and scripting it might be possible to imitate the behaviour of individuals playing in unison. Certainly this would require a lot of computer resources but we are getting there with multiple processors and processing cores and I wouldn't mind dedicating computers for strings if the results were superior to what we can get with samples.
    I agree that the strat and the gof don't sound nearly as convincing as this trumpet. But in my opinion it's more of an issue that has to do with the recording than with the technology implemented.

Besides the technology used for this trumpet was improved and therefore it's not exactly the same.

I would like to see a sax too but a samplemodeled version of a violin and cello is number one on my wishlist.

Funny you mention solo vocals as I was thinking about the same thing a couple of days ago. It would be very interesting to see that done by the samplemodeling crew.
    French Horn or Solo Strings.

Again personally a Sax is of no interest to me. Sure I would like to have it and play around with it, but I would never use it for work. Orchestral instruments however - yes sir.

Playing around with The Trumpet today I tried imagine how wonderful a Horn would sound. Lovely.
    Marcussen wrote:
    Again personally a Sax is of no interest to me. Sure I would like to have it and play around with it, but I would never use it for work. Orchestral instruments however - yes sir.

LOL, there are actually a number of orchestral works that use saxes. :P

I performed a number of them in various orchestras (on trombone). However, saxes need to behave themselves in their sound and technique in orchestral music, and play with quite a different technique, such as a different, wider, and faster vibrato. Therefore, it seems if they do saxes, they would need two sets of sound samples, one for jazz/rock, and the other for classical, if they model it, come to think of it.

Personally, I like to mix musical genres, so a "pure" orchestra does not typically interest me in composing any more. :o
    Yes. There are also a number of works that use a whip and a bull horn, but in spite of that I prefere that Sample Modeling don't concentrate on these ;)

At the rate I assume they can create instruments, I would be happy if they concentrate on the more standard instruments and not spend time on things like a sax. But each to his own - I just wanted to voice my opinion so that it does not appear that everyone wants a sax to be their next instrument :)
    I must agree with Marcussen here. I would have much, much more use for solo strings or french horn, or even trombone than I would for Saxophones...though I am sure that the sample modeling technique would work well for saxophones.
    artinro wrote: I must agree with Marcussen here. I would have much, much more use for solo strings or french horn, or even trombone than I would for Saxophones...though I am sure that the sample modeling technique would work well for saxophones.

Well, we got The Trumpet, and if we get The Sax, then since I play trombone, I can start recording The Horn Section :lol:

Watch out, because eventually, they will come up with The Composer, and then we all will be in trouble. :cry:
    "The Composer", lol!

For me it's the other way round, I play the saxophone :roll:

Most important for me would definately be

"The Horn"

"The Cello" or

"The Oboe"

Best,

Justus
    I don't think a jazz sax would even work. There are way too many different timbres available on every note, and way too many ways of transitioning between them. I don't fully understand the morphing technology, but it's got to have it's limits.

I'm sure a polite, 'behaving itself' orchestral sax would be very easy, but orchestral sax is so boring.
    I just noticed that Giorgio dropped a very unsubtle hint as to what's next on this thread:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61604

I have the Strad, and the only thing more playable than the Strad is the Gofriller, and the only thing more playable than the Gofriller is the Trumpet.

Giorgio, since you've put this out there, can we get more details?

J.
    Good to hear. I wish you good luck. Don't hesitate to include some REAL articulations if you see that the modeling falls short in those areas.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=61604

Very cool! Can`t wait for other instruments in the same liga as the trumpet is... . :D
    Wow if this turns out to be true I'm getting very excited.
    Well, I'd be surprised if the violin was not the next instrument to come from Sample Modeling.

I have to put my vote in for saxophones. There isn't one good saxophone VI out there. Not even Yellow Tools Candy. We can "get by" with currently available trombones and woodwinds, but the saxophone is badly needed. A tenor, alto, bari, and soprano. Just one of each is enough.

I currently have clients who ask for a lot of "talk-show band" style music (like David Letterman and Jay Leno's bands), and also 70's disco and funk soundalikes, and I'm always in need of saxes for these kinds of music.
    David Polich wrote: Well, I'd be surprised if the violin was not the next instrument to come from Sample Modeling.

I have to put my vote in for saxophones. There isn't one good saxophone VI out there. Not even Yellow Tools Candy. We can "get by" with currently available trombones and woodwinds, but the saxophone is badly needed. A tenor, alto, bari, and soprano. Just one of each is enough.

You are obviously not a trombone player, or at least don't want to feature them in your Tonight Show band. :P

However, for maybe slightly different reasons, my vote is ALSO for SAXOPHONE, and if only one, a TENOR!
    Well lets face it guys we all have different needs for our music.

But hopely Giorgio and Peter will take care of them all. :D
    I am also wondering what comes next. A flute would be nice. And old reed instruments like Shenai, Duduk, Schalmei, bagpipes and Gaidas (solo, without drones).

But I am aware that future instruments are not too easy to create with the SampleModeling technology; The Trumpet has set a quality bar, and this bar is quite high compared to ordinary sample libraries.

Another question is how many people are going to buy those new instruments. Are there a dozen, some hundred, or thousands? Also, are they using keyboards and keyswitches, maybe with the help of an expression pedal or a breath controller, or are the typical customers wind controller users.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.