French Horn and Tuba V3 - significant enough to upgrade?

edited April 2016 in General Questions
So I just got the email about the Horn & Tuba V3, and must confess I'm not seeing a lot to warrant immediate upgrade apart from "improved Fortissimo in the upper range"

Not so interested in the ensemble tools..I already play in each part separately and there are are already variants for the horns.

I'm watching for v3 Demos but curious to hear from early adopters in the meantime. Anyone hands-on yet?

Comments

• edited 2:39AM
    Well, it's just the same upgrade that for trumpets and trombone. The virtual soundstage and the timbral shaping are pretty useful tool when you want to carefully mix and place your instruments... And the unison IR is actually really helpfull to prevent phasing on the trombones... Playing each part separatly is not always enough.

And... it's 30 euros... I mean, what do you want for that price? A complete overall :p ? Seems to me the new features are pretty clear. Why don't you buy and try it out by yourself? It's not as if it was gonna cost you a leg, after all...
    Plougot wrote: Why don't you buy and try it out by yourself? It's not as if it was gonna cost you a leg, after all...

Yeah it's really not bad... just kind hoping to hear something other that "trust us, it's better" since I currently have no other way to listen or try before I add to the healthy sum I've already spent here :)

Good to hear about timbral shaping being useful, though
    My short demo on the product demos page, "The Colosseum Gate" was done with version 3. I was going for a particularly brassy, old school Hollywood sound. You can easily get a more mellow, lyrical sound as well. I think the upgrade is equally valued to the Trumpet and Trombone upgrades. Perry
    Awesome, thanks! If there was any indication it was done with V3, I totally missed it. Very nicely done, by the way; I'd say you nailed what you were after. Breath control?
    DefaultIT wrote: Awesome, thanks! If there was any indication it was done with V3, I totally missed it. Very nicely done, by the way; I'd say you nailed what you were after. Breath control?
    Thank you! Yes, Hornberg HB-1 Breath Controller. :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.