Symphonic / Movie music(heroic themes, cinematic-style, etc.

Hey all!

I was pointed to this modelled trumpet today and Oh MAN! I must say, I'm impressed! I'm an ex-trumpet player (last played in high school) and this is By Far, the best virtual trumpet I've ever seen! Great work, everyone!

The demos I've heard totally blow me away, but I do have a question. All nearly all of the demos showcase the trumpet in a relatively intimate setting, with the exception of "The Wizard". In my opinion, this trumpet struggles with sounding very natural within a large ensemble but I'd like to see that first impression proved wrong!

I'd be very interested to see how this trumpet handles epic themes in large ensembles, ala Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc. I haven't been able to locate any demos in that style with the exception of The Wizard, which I didn't think sounded as convicining as the more intimate demo tracks.

What is everyone's opinion of this trumpet for use in epic cinematic-style themes, for say movies or video games?

I am an owner of Eastwest's Symphonic Orchestra Platinum and am looking to expand the trumpet sound to something more epic and natural than what it can offer. I hope that's an option; I'd love to be able to use your product! This is something very remarkable!

Thank you for any input!

Comments

• edited 10:55AM
    Here are two examples of the trumpet in a more film orchestral context.

One cue is from the jurassic park theme and the other from apollo 13.

I hope Rob and the author of the second example won't mind posting these mp3's here.

Hope this helps.
  • edited 10:55AM
    Wow, thanks for the reply and the links! :D

The apollo 13 track sounds really quite nice. The Jurassic Park mockup has me a little worried but I wonder if it's just the programming that caused the relative lack of realism (it's kind of "jumpy", with unrealistic cutoffs), especially in the first couple of seconds of the trumpet part. Other than that, pretty cool!

The JP trumpet is definitely highlighted bigtime in this track and I'm not completely sure I like the sound I'm hearing. Here'a a quick JP mockup I did in Platinum (very, very basic and short, but it gives a comparison).

http://search3.idrive.com/driveway/jsp/dway_download.jsp?id=x6u3k2e4u1#

I know it's far from a "good" mockup, I'm really just posting this to compare the differences in the trumpet sounds.

Considering what I've heard on here, I'll bet programming is the primary cause for the elements I'm not liking so much. It sounds like it could possibly be worked through with enough effort. My trumpet is "Fatter" for sure (3 microphone positions to thank for that!) but it's not a very smooth, connected, melodic, natural kind of sound. It's just big and generic. That's why this Trumpet product interests me so much. I just hope it's big enough to fit into my mixes. Geez...I'm loving the true legato though, that's awesome!

I will certainly consider picking this up in the near future...I did just throw down $800 for Platinum so the wallet's hurting at the moment, but we'll see!

(Looks like I need to pick up an expression pedal for my keyboard, too!)

Nice demos, too, whoever made these. 8-)

I am getting the feeling though, that if I did pick up this trumpet, I'd spend a lot of time programming it, getting it to sound realistic in my context. :P

Not that that's a huge issue, as I'm not on tight time constraints. Programming would definitely be a learning curve on this VI. It sure seems worth it though, if done well!

[EDIT] Okay, I couldn't help it. I just purchased The Trumpet! It's downloading now. I look forward to getting a few demos up here in the near future. :D
  • this trumpet for use in epic cinematic-style themes, for say movies or video games will be a blast in the market. This is going to be a big dhamaka in the market and people will run for it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.