String sections request

edited December 2015 in General Questions
Howdy!

I'd like to request some Sample Modeling String Sections instruments when you're finished with the solo strings.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited 8:29PM
    In theory, a string section is just a set of multiple string instruments playing at the same time :)

OTOH it is a know problem, that it's not really easy to do e.g. a sax section or (as I already tired) a flute section from the SWAM instruments, even though they can individually be tweaked to prevent a to "tight" feeling.

I don't know what the reason is, but from my non-expert impression, some formants, that do a really good job with the solo instrument, seem to pile when multiple of them play together. Maybe the instruments need less built-in "room" and need to be placed in a virtual room via an appropriate plugin such as "space 360".

Moreover the Swam engine needs not exactly few CPU resources. With realtime-compatible latency, my i7 4 Core 2 GHz only managed 8 of them (no additional effects) .

-Michael
    It might be impractical on many levels to replicate the sound of a fifty-piece string orchestra by having 50 instances of SWAM solo string instruments.

I have no idea how SWAM works under the hood, but it would seem to me that the sound of twelve violins playing together could be modeled just as a solo violin can.

I know that's probably simplifying the process a lot, but is there something I don't know about modeling that would prevent this from happening?
    Theorically, no... The only true obstacle is... our cpus. Currently, they're not strong enough to do that in real time. And since music needs very low latency, we're kinda stuck with realtime.

Of course, we could imagine some intelligent algorythm that would recreate an ensemble sound without all the calculation of the individual strings, but that would be some heavy mathematics tip and tricks. Because an ensemble sound is truly only the combination of individual instruments. Anything different would be a shortcut. Not necessarily a bad one, but since I'm no mathematician or acoustician, I've no idea if it's utterly complicated or rather simple.
    I suppose a good test would be for an owner of the Viola to instantiate 10 Viola SWAMs (a fairly standard viola compliment in an orchestra), configure them to be slightly different from each other, and play a line in to see how it sounds. An offline bounce might be the only way to hear it, but it would be interesting to see how it sounds.

Anybody up for the challenge?
    Plougot wrote: TThe only true obstacle is... our cpus.

Yep.

There is software that in fact is able to physical-model some 200 strings (a Grand piano) on a PC in real time (-> e.g. Pianoteq). But here, the model seems to be by far less complex than the Viola. A more detailed Piano Model (Roland VPiano) can't run on a PC but needs a bunch of dedicated hardware signal processors. But I am sure that this model still is a lot less complex than the Viola.

Supposedly the only way to decently recreate a string section is sophisticated sampling. Of course SM proved that they can do this with their Kontakt based instruments. :)

-Michael
    I suppose a good test would be for an owner of the Viola to instantiate 10 Viola SWAMs (a fairly standard viola compliment in an orchestra), configure them to be slightly different from each other, and play a line in to see how it sounds. An offline bounce might be the only way to hear it, but it would be interesting to see how it sounds.

Anybody up for the challenge?

I'm planning to do it, but I'm kinda late already... Got a bunch of flute tests that I wanted to discuss and still didn't do... ^^

Will do it... eventually.
  • Sets for ropes would really be one more! The question is whether it is easier to realize on the engine kontakt (with samples of ropes in section) or on the engine SWAM S? The logic would want that the sections of ropes can complete this magnificent collection! :) :) :)
    Interestingly, back in 2009 Sample Modeling announced the development of ensemble strings. See point no. 7 in the first post:

http://www.samplemodeling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=271
    PHILFRANCE 6315 wrote: Sets for ropes would really be one more! The question is whether it is easier to realize on the engine kontakt (with samples of ropes in section) or on the engine SWAM S? The logic would want that the sections of ropes can complete this magnificent collection! :) :) :)

Sets for ropes? What does that mean?
    My guess is "ropes" means strings. Might be a google translate thing.
    I can confirm, as a french, that he meant "strings", since you say "Cordes" (literally "ropes) for "strings" in french ^^.
    Ah - thank you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.